1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job not what was advertised

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by lovebooks, Jun 1, 2011.

1. I applied for a job where the advertisement stated vacancies for 6 full time teachers. I went for interview and the next day was offered a post which I accepted.
    I moved my family across the country to take up the post. Six weeks into the job I have yet to sign a contract but have since found out that the position I have is a one year temporary contract.
    I have spoken to the head and made clear that this was not mentioned in the interview, or when I was offered the job and as such I feel that the job I accepted was not what was advertised.
    Where do I stand? I have yet to sign a contract but I am aware that simply being at work constitutes a contract, and I feel very let down by it all.
    I would never have applied for a job that was temporary, and certainly never accepted a temporary post when I already had a permanent position. What would you suggest I do? Should I fight for a permanent post and appear to be awkward, or should I say that as they cannot offer me a permanent post I will be starting to look for permanent employment elsewhere? Should I talk to my union?
    Any advice welcome!

2. I applied for a job where the advertisement stated vacancies for 6 full time teachers. I went for interview and the next day was offered a post which I accepted.
    I moved my family across the country to take up the post. Six weeks into the job I have yet to sign a contract but have since found out that the position I have is a one year temporary contract.
    I have spoken to the head and made clear that this was not mentioned in the interview, or when I was offered the job and as such I feel that the job I accepted was not what was advertised.
    Where do I stand? I have yet to sign a contract but I am aware that simply being at work constitutes a contract, and I feel very let down by it all.
    I would never have applied for a job that was temporary, and certainly never accepted a temporary post when I already had a permanent position. What would you suggest I do? Should I fight for a permanent post and appear to be awkward, or should I say that as they cannot offer me a permanent post I will be starting to look for permanent employment elsewhere? Should I talk to my union?
    Any advice welcome!