1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job interview

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Misstory, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Misstory

Misstory New commenter

Hi all! I’ve just rejoined the TES after being a member back when it was completely different!!

Anyway, I’m hoping some of you might be able to help me here. I’ve got a job interview for a special school and I’ve been out of teaching for a loooong time (even longer out of sen!)

I’ve been reading and reading everything I can find online but was wondering if there are any really pressing current issues I might have missed?

Also, I have to do a “communication” activity with some children (eek!) I’m taking this to mean speaking/listening? So....a game/song/interactive kind of activity that encourages them to talk? Sorry if I sound really dim but I don’t want to make a **** of myself! Haha!

Thanks in advance

2. Misstory

Misstory New commenter

Sorry about the asterisked word- it wasn’t that bad!! I’ll change it to “fool”!

3. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Yes, you are right about the activity being about speaking and listening, but don't forget the scaffolding cues that you may want to develop such as turn taking, declarative points and so on. Some of the children may not be at the more formal speaking and listening stage.. How long is the activity to last and for what ability level and age? Special can cover such a large range of students.

4. Misstory

Misstory New commenter

Hi! Thank you for your reply! They are primary aged children at p levels 5-7; I was thinking about conversational turn taking.

5. dzil

You could do any activity that involves turn taking or non verbal communication and encourage vocalisation, symbol exchange and signing. I suspect you have already looked at the P levels to see what to expect from children working within those levels.
    Good Luck

6. Misstory

Misstory New commenter

Thank you so much I’ve come up with a few ideas, and now I need to narrow it down and construct some kind of lesson plan! It’s so hard to choose what to do, isn’t it?!

7. Misstory

Misstory New commenter

My emoji didn’t show! Obviously something else I need to learn about this forum!

8. dzil

It is hard, but do something you are comfortable with, maybe erring on the simpler side with ideas up your sleeve to develop and extend as you go if needed. that way you can watch the children whilst you teach. Being able to assess as you go and being able to give feedback to the observer in the inevitable debrief will be of more use than an incredible, intense, inventive lesson that you have to really concentrate on. :)

there are only a limited range of emojis available the bar above the text box.

9. Misstory

Misstory New commenter

Brilliant! Thank you, dzil! You’ve been very helpful!

10. dzil

If you want to run your idea past me I'm very happy for you to do that. (no pressure) just PM me. To do that you need to hover over your "blue alien" avatar on the very top toolbar of this page. A menu drops down and you select "conversations" (about 3 items down on the right) a new page opens and you select "new conversation".
    When I reply you will get a little yellow number appearing next to conversations on that drop down menu. There won't be any other warning, you have to hover!
    The only other advice I have is if you have to go with a book don't do Bear Hunt or Hungry Caterpillar. They're brilliant books but been done to death in interviews so you'll have to work twice as hard to impress the observer!

11. Misstory

Misstory New commenter

Thank you so much for the offer. I’m delighted to say that I got the job! So I’ll probably be back to pick your brains many more times! Thanks again :)

12. dzil

Congratulations and welcome to special! The sector needs good teachers like you.
    Looking forward to supporting you in the future.

13. dzil

Just thought: you might like to join the newly re-launched SLD forum. There are a lot of classroom practitioners as well as very well known researchers, advisers and experts n the field who are members. It's free to join. Information provided via e-mail links to threads that may be of interest, resources exchanged, topics discussed all very informal and supportive.
    https://www.thesendforums.org.uk/
    You can just lurk if you want, or ask questions (no question too simple or complex!) or answer other teacher's questions.
    If your new class will have youngsters with PMLD there's a good facebook group too - "Supporting PMLD teaching and Learning"

corgie11 likes this.
  14. Misstory

Misstory New commenter

Hi dzil! Thank you for your last post. I did join the send forum :)

dzil likes this.