1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job Interview

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by doorstop, Nov 26, 2019.

1. doorstop

doorstop New commenter

Please can I ask some advice - I have a job interview for a Nursery Teacher this week and they would like to see a story based activity focusing on the area of communication and language. Has anybody any advice ideas that have worked brilliantly for them. Thank you.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm sure people have. However there are a couple of problems with them posting on here about them.

1 This is a public forum and may be frequented by Heads who recognise the task and assume you haven't ideas of your own.

2 What has worked on one occasion may not another time with another cohort of children. Or with someone with a different personality.

So think about something you've done before, which has worked well for you and then adapt and 'uplevel' it.

Best of luck with it.

3. creeves3

creeves3 New commenter

Sharing best practice is a fundamental aspect being a teacher and a benefit of being part of a teaching community. Nothing wrong with asking for ideas/inspiration. I would also assume (hope) most headteachers are too busy to be searching forums! Personally, I would want my staff members to be proactive in seeking out advice and ideas from experienced colleagues, if they can apply this successfully in their own practice that is a good sign.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Totally agree. One of the reasons many people post their resources free on here to help others is precisely to enhance that collegial support.

However I do think in an interview situation, where the panel are looking for the very best candidate for the post, they'd be pleased to think the candidate had got some ideas of their own to showcase their own talents.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Advice and ideas come after the poster has given some of their own.
    People sometimes post things like 'I'm thinking of doing X followed by Y, with a focus on Z. What do you think? Should I change Y a bit?' and then get a stream of replies with advice and ideas.

Someone coming with nothing at all is going to struggle to manage a post where they will need to think of their own ideas every single day.
    Why? They need downtime just as much as classroom teachers.
    And part of selection can be an internet search to see if there is anything untoward from a candidate.

littlejackhorner and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. creeves3

creeves3 New commenter

My husband is a headteacher and, believe me, he does not spend his downtime searching teaching forums. But each to their own!

Nevertheless, asking for advice on a professional forum would not be considered as 'untoward' behaviour!

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

However, as the OP hasn't been back to TES since posting on Tuesday, we can probably assume they didn't need help anyway.

8. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 New commenter

I don't like an unresolved post! Did it go well? Did they get the job?!