1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job interview task: Activity for Y3 Primary

Discussion in 'Primary' started by CKC93, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Hey everybody.
    Great to be a member of the TES community now.

I am looking for some advice...

On Monday 19th December I have a job interview in Newcastle Upon Tyne for a SEN Support Assistant job role at a local Primary School.

As part of the interview process in my letter it asks me to "select an appropriate text to share with a group of six, Y3, mixed ability pupils to include a simple follow up activity."

"You will then be asked to do a task relating to 'Learning Journals' and 'Keeping Children Safe' (not sure about that part.

I know this week is Christmas week and the schools will be breaking up around Wednesday / Thursday so everyone will be on a Christmas hype. Any ideas for the activity I could do?

I thought of this activity called 'Snowball' you write a question in the middle of a sheet of paper for example
    "What are the potential problems caused by heavy snow?" you scrumple up the piece of paper, say/ shout Snowball! Throw it to one of the kids and ask them to open it up, they write an answer from the question. Scrumple it back up, shout snowball and throw it to one of their friends, passing it round till each of them have taken a turn?

Any thoughts?

Please help, before monday! I am incredibly nervous! Thanks, Craig

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Having the other children sat watching while one child writes doesn't sound like a good idea, I'm afraid.

What "appropriate text" are you going to use? Perhaps a better starting point would be to find a text and work from that.

3. Calamity54321

Calamity54321 New commenter

Agree with frustum. Think back to a book you loved when you were that age and do a very simple follow-up, perhaps focussing on vocabulary (which is the 'in thing' at the minute due to the last Y6 SATS!).

I'd say the learning journals and keeping children safe activities will be in another room without children present. Google both for an idea of what might be asked.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

And whilst the one child is writing what are the rest doing? Sitting quietly?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.