1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job interview - should I go

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Kartoshka, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Are the teachers at your placement school nice? Mine were always very positive when they heard I had an interview, and were willing to talk through my ideas for the interview lesson and give some advice. If someone at your school could do the same for you, it might help you feel a bit more confident. Also, don't go in there with the hope of getting the job - see it more as a practice for the 'real thing'. That way, if it doesn't go so well it doesn't matter, because you just know what you need to improve for your next interview, rather than worrying about how you messed up your chances at getting that job. I learned a lot from my first interview about what to expect, and was much more confident for my second one as a result. Good luck!

2. barneystinson

barneystinson New commenter

Quite frankly I am shocked.
    I think you will regret not going for a multitude of reasons.

3. Qute frankly I think you are wrong.

I am very glad that I did not go to the interview. I am not far enough in my course to feel comfortable going for job interviews. One of the guys on my course who went for it got it and I knew he would - he had years more experience than the other applicants. I am pleased for him and happy to wait until other jobs become available.

4. MizUnderstood

MizUnderstood New commenter

I think it's a shame you didn't go just to know what the whole experience is like, even if you weren't sure about the job I think the opportunity to go through an interview day would have been invaluable for your own personal development. However, if you didn't feel comfortable then maybe you made the best choice.
    I assume from the 'happy to wait for other jobs' comment that you live in an area that has plenty of teaching jobs, or you are willing to move, as the area I live in has only had around 7 jobs advertised in the past 3 months, and unfortunately all of them have had start dates before I have finished my training!! For the next 4 years I am tied to this area (my children are doing GCSEs and A-Levels) so I'm not sure how picky I will get the chance to be when it comes to finding work! It's depressing enough when you see how many fully qualified teachers are on the unemployed forum or look at the stats for trainees that actually get work at the end of their PGCEs....thankfully there is a big Tesco in town that I can shelf-stack at if there aren't any jobs!

5. barneystinson

barneystinson New commenter

Wow, for someone who has only just started their PGCE they seem to have a very firm and quite frankly arrogant stance on this situation.
    No-one who has their first teaching interview ever feels they are ready for it, which is one of the reasons you should have gone. You will find in the future that it is very difficult to even get an interview so in that respect you have missed out on a great opportunity. It would have also been a learning experience and given you a real insight into how the interview process works and what is required.
    Unless you're delluded and believe that you will nail your very first teaching interview then it was a massive mistake not going.
    And I suppose a school, with their vast experience in recruiting teachers was "stupid" in even considering you in the first place? Because obviously you know much more about teaching now than people who have worked at schools for years.
    As previously stated, it is very difficult to get a teaching job these days. I was fortunate to get a job from my first interview but from 46 graduates on my course only 4 actually got jobs. So in that sense I think I've been extremely lucky.
    All I can say is good luck.

6. Well I think the tone of your message is very arrogant and unnecessary.
    Clearly you haven't read my posts properly - if you had, you would have seen that part of the reason I didn't go for the interview was due to a lack of confidence, which certainly is not synonymous with arrogance. I am aware that teaching posts are hard to come by, but fortunately I am not restricted by family or geographical ties.I may have missed an opportunity to get interview experience, but I would rather that than go to an interview feeling incredibly unprepared, do badly in my lesson and lose more confidence. I also felt that as I did not want the job, it would be better for my interview place to go to someone who actually did.