1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job interview nursery teacher to plan activity. HELP

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by joradmall, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Am trying to plan a 15-20 min focus activity for a job interview/day.
    It's an adult directed activity
    Am struggling specifically due to the lack of topic or even book linking to it.
    Every time i try to pin down an ELG and an idea i completely change my mind.

I know there are children in this particular nursery who cannot count or write their names, and then there are those that can write simple sentences... So when I pick an ELG would it be advisable to note the other ELGs that may extend from it. Or just specifically one. I'm not sure the amount of children or abilities that I will have in my group.

I thought of a fruit bag where they sort and count
    but i was going to link this to the hungry caterpillar story in the 15 min. I have a fab copy where the puppet caterpillar feeds through the pages...
    I would have shared this initially with the whole nursery and then done the counting and sorting activity as my focus..
    So i think it might be too much to fit into 15 minutes. with including reading the book. but without it it isn't as exciting.

Then i thought maybe the activity could just be counting the objects and recording them on a sheet... circling the amount of apples for example or colouring...

It's been a while since it taught nursery, and although i have a 3yr old daughter. she is quite bright and can count past 20.. so the colouring the correct amount if apples you find would be easy for her. But for others not so.

I am beginning to go round in circles with choosing what to do.

Then i had an idea of a 2d shape bag and walk around the classroom then colour in the shapes we saw.. am struggling to pin down a specific ELG for that!

Sleepless nights are happening because i have too many ideas!

any suggestions?

2. Am trying to plan a 15-20 min focus activity for a job interview/day.
    It's an adult directed activity
    Am struggling specifically due to the lack of topic or even book linking to it.
    Every time i try to pin down an ELG and an idea i completely change my mind.

I know there are children in this particular nursery who cannot count or write their names, and then there are those that can write simple sentences... So when I pick an ELG would it be advisable to note the other ELGs that may extend from it. Or just specifically one. I'm not sure the amount of children or abilities that I will have in my group.

I thought of a fruit bag where they sort and count
    but i was going to link this to the hungry caterpillar story in the 15 min. I have a fab copy where the puppet caterpillar feeds through the pages...
    I would have shared this initially with the whole nursery and then done the counting and sorting activity as my focus..
    So i think it might be too much to fit into 15 minutes. with including reading the book. but without it it isn't as exciting.

Then i thought maybe the activity could just be counting the objects and recording them on a sheet... circling the amount of apples for example or colouring...

It's been a while since it taught nursery, and although i have a 3yr old daughter. she is quite bright and can count past 20.. so the colouring the correct amount if apples you find would be easy for her. But for others not so.

I am beginning to go round in circles with choosing what to do.

Then i had an idea of a 2d shape bag and walk around the classroom then colour in the shapes we saw.. am struggling to pin down a specific ELG for that!

Sleepless nights are happening because i have too many ideas!

any suggestions?

3. Hi, there are loads of things that you could do but you only have short space of time. You could read or tell goldilocks and the three bears pausing for children to join in with the story. Then explain that you'd got some things that belonged to the bears to show the children but you dropped the box/bag and theyre all mixed up. Have 3 diff sized bears and a range of objects in diff sizes ie spoons, bowls, pencils, paintbrushes, flower pots etc. children then one at a time sort them and give them to the bear they belong to. While they are sorting you can extend their vocab by using different words to describe sizes. Keep the tempo up to maintain interest. I did this as a circle time activity recently and it worked v well. I left it out for children the next day and it was really popular. Hope this helps good luck, eve

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Or show them the things in the bag as above first, talk about them and see if they can tell you what the story is. Get them to tell the story with you, I'm sure some will already know it.