1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job interview lesson Yr3

Discussion in 'Primary' started by NeusGarcia, May 31, 2016.

1. NeusGarcia

NeusGarcia New commenter

Hi everyone! I am a bit overwhelmed as I’m going to have my FIRST interview next week for a Y3 teacher at a good school (Ofsted) in London. I'm required to plan an outstanding Literacy lesson of Y3 children for approx 1hour. Any ideas at all would be really useful! Thank you :) xx

2. pcsmush

pcsmush Occasional commenter

It's a bit naive for a school to ask a candidate to teach an 'outstanding' lesson. The school should not expect that standard of teaching from an NQT in particular.

Regardless, what are some of your ideas?
    We can help you tweak any ideas that you have.

3. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

Think carefully about what you want them to learn in the lesson. If you want it to be something to do with using descriptive language then the literacy shed or the old teachers tv story starters are a good stimulus to use

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Firstly use your own ideas. Never try and use someone else's or should something go wrong you won't know how to adapt. Or the lesson may even be recognised and that would not impress them.

Start from something you may have done in a placement. Something you know worked well. Then see if there's a Year 3 objective which would fit.

Always start from the objective of what you want the children to learn and how you're going to demonstrate progress.

Good Luck.

digoryvenn likes this.
  5. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

As Lara says, always start with the objective and not the activity. Don't try to make an activity fit an
    objective.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

An outstanding lesson will mean the children make more than expected progress.

As we are very near the end of the year, look at the year 4 objectives and see which one leaps out at you as being just right for you. Then plan something fabulous. Maybe ask in your placement school if you can try it out on the year 3s there.

I teach year 3 and while we have a few left to cover, the chance of someone picking one of them is very slim, best to go with year 4.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. juliannebritton

juliannebritton New commenter

Having taught Year 3 for several years now, I would agree that it's probably best to go with a year 4 objective at this point in the year. However, make sure it is something that you can easily differentiate for the lower ability children.

For an outstanding Literacy lesson, I would make sure that you have a good 'hook' - something that will engage the children right from the beginning of the lesson. Focusing on description might be a good starting point as this gives you the opportunity to present the children with something physical. They could use their senses to come up with descriptive words and phrases then apply these ideas in a longer written piece.

Obviously, the ideas need to be your own but this could be a good starting point. =)

Good luck. I hope the lesson goes well whatever you decide to do.