1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

JOB INTERVIEW LESSON - MATHS PROBLEM SOLVING YR 4

Discussion in 'Primary' started by KEEPSMILEN, Oct 14, 2009.

1. HI
    I HAVE A JOB INTERVIEW NEXT FRIDAY I HAVE TO TEACH A MATHS PROBLEM SOLVING LESSON TO A YEAR 4 CLASS ON NUMBER OR SHAPE?

ANY IDEAS?

WAS THINKING A KIND OF CAROSEL OF ACTIVITIES? STUGGLING THO CONSIDERING DONT KNOW THE CLASS

THANKS

2. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

Okay, this is just a suggestion.....
    I did a lesson interview along a similar theme, and I got the chn to tessellate some shapes. Bearing in mind that maths should be related to a real life situation, I pretended that my husband had agreed that we could get some new kitchen tiles and I had rung for some quotes. When I rang one company, they told me that if I chose shapes that tessellated, the quote would be cheaper as if I chose shapes that didn't tesselate, it would be more expensive as they would have to 'fill the gaps'.
    I relayed the conversation between me and the tiler, putting on a voice for the tiler, and I also put on a builder's hat! It really captured the chn's attention and the interviewer loved it.
    I differentiated the shapes for ability and the chn really enjoyed the lesson.

3. Hi thats a really good idea thanks, i was thinking along the lines of tessellations or exploring pentominoes? have you ever looked at them before - wasn't sure if it would be suitable for year 4??

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Look at the schemes of work for yr 4.i think this work is year 5..how ever there are lots of IWB lessons out there that allows you to explore these or shapes if you search

5. right think im definately goin with the tesselations idea, did you cut up shapes? or manage to find templates from somewhere?