1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job interview - HLTA

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by billygoatgriff, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Hi,
    I have been shortlisted for an HLTA job at a local secondary school and the interview is on Friday.
    I'm a qualified primary teacher and since having my children, I have worked mainly on temporary contracts with some supply work between contracts. I am now "too expensive" to get a permanent teaching job and applied for the HLTA position, not really expecting to be considered! Now I'm starting to panic a bit as I'm hopeless at interviews and have absolutely no experience in secondary. Applied for the job in desparation- my eldest will be going to uni next year and I need the stability of a permanent job so I can afford to give him some money towards living costs etc. Looking at the job spec they want the applicant to have/ be able to do the following:
    Manage other TAs / hold regular team meetings with managed staff.
    Represent TAs at staff and SMT meetings.
    Undertake recruitment/induction/appraisal/training/mentoring for other TAs.
    Comply with ansd assist with development of policies and prodedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection.
    Liase with outside agencies.
    plan, evaluate learning activities.
    Manage and share record keeping systems and processes.
    Assist in transition arrangements between key stages.
    Administer and assess/mark tests and invigilate exams/tests.
    Take a lead role in managing and delivering pastoral support to pupils.
    Engage with pupils of all age groups, to review academic performance and set targets as appropriate.
    Attend to pupils' personal needs and provide advice to assist in their social, health and hygeine development.
    Assist with development of IEPs, IBPs, support/mentoring plans.
    Arrange and develop 1:1 mentoring arrangements with pupils and provide support for distressed pupils.
    Take a lead role in managing the speedy/effective transfer of pupils across phases/integration of those who have been absent.
    Provide info and advice to enable pupils to make choices about their own learning/behaviour/attendance.
    Challenge and motivate pupils, promote and reinforce self-esteem.
    Be responsible for the provision of out of school learning activities.
    Contribute to the identification and execution of appropriate out of school learning activities which consolidate and extend work carried out in class.

The interview morning will consist of:
    Welcome and introduction to the format for the day.
    Session with a group of pupils. (10 mins)
    Tour of school.
    Formal interview.

It says the schedule will be given in the morning with details of the pupil session.

What is the pupil session likely to be? Its only 10 mins.
    Any ideas on the questions that I may be asked so I can be prepared?

Thanks

2. Hi,
    I have been shortlisted for an HLTA job at a local secondary school and the interview is on Friday.
    I'm a qualified primary teacher and since having my children, I have worked mainly on temporary contracts with some supply work between contracts. I am now "too expensive" to get a permanent teaching job and applied for the HLTA position, not really expecting to be considered! Now I'm starting to panic a bit as I'm hopeless at interviews and have absolutely no experience in secondary. Applied for the job in desparation- my eldest will be going to uni next year and I need the stability of a permanent job so I can afford to give him some money towards living costs etc. Looking at the job spec they want the applicant to have/ be able to do the following:
    Manage other TAs / hold regular team meetings with managed staff.
    Represent TAs at staff and SMT meetings.
    Undertake recruitment/induction/appraisal/training/mentoring for other TAs.
    Comply with ansd assist with development of policies and prodedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection.
    Liase with outside agencies.
    plan, evaluate learning activities.
    Manage and share record keeping systems and processes.
    Assist in transition arrangements between key stages.
    Administer and assess/mark tests and invigilate exams/tests.
    Take a lead role in managing and delivering pastoral support to pupils.
    Engage with pupils of all age groups, to review academic performance and set targets as appropriate.
    Attend to pupils' personal needs and provide advice to assist in their social, health and hygeine development.
    Assist with development of IEPs, IBPs, support/mentoring plans.
    Arrange and develop 1:1 mentoring arrangements with pupils and provide support for distressed pupils.
    Take a lead role in managing the speedy/effective transfer of pupils across phases/integration of those who have been absent.
    Provide info and advice to enable pupils to make choices about their own learning/behaviour/attendance.
    Challenge and motivate pupils, promote and reinforce self-esteem.
    Be responsible for the provision of out of school learning activities.
    Contribute to the identification and execution of appropriate out of school learning activities which consolidate and extend work carried out in class.

The interview morning will consist of:
    Welcome and introduction to the format for the day.
    Session with a group of pupils. (10 mins)
    Tour of school.
    Formal interview.

It says the schedule will be given in the morning with details of the pupil session.

What is the pupil session likely to be? Its only 10 mins.
    Any ideas on the questions that I may be asked so I can be prepared?

Thanks

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm intrigued that, because you think you are too expensive to get a permanent post in primary, you are going to be a secondary HLTA. I'm pretty expensive as well, which does count me out of some posts, though not all, but secondary HLTA would be my idea of hell.
    Financially, a temporary teaching post would pay more than a permanent HLTA post. In fact supply would pay more!
    However, if you want this post then all the very best for your interview and I hope you are successful. I can't help with the questions at all, I've no idea. Maybe ask on the TA/CS forum possibly without mentioning you are a teacher, they might be a bit funny.
    Good Luck.

4. Sounds like a pretty big job description!
    On the general stuff I would focus on your big positives. You are a primary teacher so you are probably more able than the average secondary teacher (I am secondary) dealing with primary secondary transition.
    A massive advantage is you have experience of primary numeracy and literacy strategies, so you are well skilled to support SEN with difficulties in these areas when the students are in secondary.
    Looking at the job description I think you will really have to relate to previous skills of managing adults in your team, as that seems a big part of the game plan
    On the big one, the pupil session, well I have not a clue. Maybe post on the TA forum they may have some advise.
    With absolutely no knowledge and just speculating off the top of my head. Its ten minutes they are looking for a HLTA not a classroom teacher for the pupil session. I would move some tables into a big group format and sit down (A classroom teacher has a tendency to be stood up and barking instructions in secondary) So the environment and the relationships for the HLTA are different.
    So maybe you meet and greet at the door then you sit down and you invite them in they sit around the big table format then loads of smiles and introductions give them a chance to introduce themselves. Chat about what they like and dislike their hobbies and interests.
    Last two paragraphs are just speculation I think the TA's are probably more knowledgable than me on the pupil session
    Just penning thoughts

5. Hi minniminx,
    Thanks for the reply. I've got to admit I am having second thoughts. The thing is that I have for the past 4 years been fairly successful in gaining temp contracts despite not being interviewed. I have been recommended for the posts by previous heads in response to emails sent to them by heads in the LEA. Any interview that I have managed to get has gone disasterously wrong due to my nerves, which only seem to get worse after each rejection.
    I am on M6 on the pay scale. Recently there have been 2 jobs come up at a school where I've just completed a matenity cover (my second maternity cover in 3 years with reg supply work in between contracts at the school). When I asked about my chances if I applied, I was told that I could apply by all means but they really wanted an NQT due to budget difficulties and if someone "young and cheap" applied they would get the job over me. Needless to say I didn't bother applying!!

I have applied for 8 jobs in the last 2 months( the lack of jobs within the 4 LEAs local to me is scarey) and I haven't been invited for a single interview despite showing my letter of appilcation to my last head who said they were all fine.

Going back on supply scares me. I feel that I really need a job which offers me the security of a regular income - hence the panic application for the HLTA job!

I need to confirm whether or not I will be attending the interview tomorrow not sure if I should go if I don't really want the job!

6. Thanks Geoffone, there is some useful advice here. Got to admit going from primary to secondary is quite a scarey prospect! In your experience how much whole class teaching would I have to do and would work be planned? I have a degree in physics (though it was 20 years ago!) and I have tutored friends kids for GCSE maths, so my maths is fairly strong and I could probably manage a physics lesson if asked. I'm certain that I would struggle loads if asked to teach an art lesson though!

7. Hi billygoatgriff. Looking back at the job description it seems they are looking for an HLTA and not a cover supervisor. From my view they are not looking for whole class teaching.
    I would have no fear of secondary and tutoring your friends kids is pretty good experience.
    The crucial factor for me would be the school. If it is a school you feel you would love to work in. Then maybe go for it. However if the school does not suit you I would not do it just for a job.
    I would take the minnimax view and carry on doing some supply or long term if you can get it.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

At M6 you are definitely not too expensive as such. Well I hope not as I am on UPS2!
    Anyway I would go to the interview and see how you feel when you get there. If the schools feels good and staff seem happy and have the time to talk to you then things will probably be fine.
    Do ask exactly what the role entails, you might find yourself taking whole classes just because they see you as a 'teacher' so think you won't mind.I trained as a secondary maths teacher and it is a very different ball game to teaching in primary. Teenagers will rarely show their interest and enthusiasm, nor will they thank you. It just isn't their way. They test all boundaries constantly.
    Remember as a TA you won't be working with the high flying, flute playing, Dof E gold assests to the school.However you might well be seeing the pupils in small groups or individually working on basic skills which they will be keen to master. Without their peer group teenagers are often much more open to learnign and conversation. You could really make a difference to those children and feel wanted and needed.
    If I were you, I'd go along and see how you feel when you get there. Ask about all the things that worry you. Think about what you will say when they ask why you want the post. (Saying you are desperate for a permanent post as you need to provide for your university going son will probably not get you the post, however true!) Remember you can always withdraw at any time before accepting the post.

9. Thanks again minninminx and Geoffone. I think I'll go along to the interview for the experience if nothing else. I will make sure that I ask about the teaching element though. The school has a very good reputation and is local. I know it well as my eldest went there ( and did v well) and my middle child is in Y10 (also doing well). I've asked her if it would bother her if I were to work there and she said no, so I'm going to go for it and see what happens.

10. I think if you are a teacher, it is best not to go the HLTA route. Keep trying to get supply work. HLTA's are not paid well and it is basically a glorified TA job, low pay with lots more responsibility.