1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job interview help please

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by salohalley, Oct 23, 2017.

1. salohalley

salohalley New commenter

Hi everyone . I have a job interview for a sen teaching assistant . I'm really struggling though thinking of a 5 minute activity to do . 5 minutes really isn't long . It will be 4 children in ks1. They haven't said what age they will be . Any ideas please

2. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

Hello. Well done on getting an interview. There are one or two people- @olunchick and @123Vanilla who may be able to help you out if they have time.

Did It give any further information about the ability of the children or what area they want you to focus on- literacy, maths.

3. salohalley

salohalley New commenter

It just says activity of your own choice with 4 children . So I'm a little confused . Thanks for your reply

4. pickles124

Ok- is this is a primary or secondary school setting And have you got SEN experience or is this completely new to you?

It may be worth asking over on the Special Needs thread for further advice. I wish I could assist further.

Maybe email them and ask how old at the students in the first instance.

5. galerider123

galerider123 Established commenter

KS1 = year 1 and 2 , aged between 5 and 7.
    Play to your strengths. I would plan for a low year one, but have an extension task (or two) in mind in case you get there and are handed 4 bright year 2s...

pepper5 likes this.
  6. salohalley

salohalley New commenter

Thanks . But I really don't know what to plan to do . As it's only its only 5 minutes its quite difficult . I need suggestions pretty please

7. pickles124

Ah rightey- I didn't read the original message properly. Well you could maybe do a very quick phonics activity, addition or multiplication using beads or counters. As you only have 5 minutes there really isn't much time.

How about a sentence construction activity?

Quite hard to know where to start with this one... especially with only 5 minutes.

galerider123 likes this.
  8. pickles124

Maybe an ordering game of numbers, or maybe something to do with shapes or size. If your going with the lower year 1 approach, then you could start of simple but as stated above have an extension task in mind.

9. pickles124

10. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Established commenter

This is a very tricky one with only five minutes! They will mainly be looking at how you interact with the children, so make sure you introduce yourself and ask their names before you start. How about having two pictures ... e.g one of a cat walking along a wall and one of a tiger walking through a jungle. Have a sentence: The cat is walking. Ask the children which picture it refers to ... aiming for them to say 'both' (although they will probably say the domestic cat). Ask how we can make the sentence more interesting .... add description, change verbs etc. Write out the new sentences and read them together. This would probably work better with Year 2 than 1 .... and I'm sure others with more current KS1 experience will have better ideas! Best of luck!

11. pickles124

They certainly don't make things easy for people do they, I must say! Best of luck Salohalley x

12. galerider123

galerider123 Established commenter

13. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Established commenter

galerider, that looks pretty good to me .... with only 5 minutes, I think I'd go for that!

pickles124 likes this.
  14. pickles124

It will be useful for many people. Keep the task simple @salohalley. So basic language, not too detailed vocab for them. Promote independence as much as you can.

I was thinking- maybe have a puppet or a soft toy that you could take as your 'assistant'. It may help to break the ice with them as they could feel emotionally vulnerable.

Lots of stickers for them too.

Good luck. I'm waiting or one or two applications too. x

15. salohalley

salohalley New commenter

Sorry for such a late reply . Many thanks to you all some great suggestions

16. salohalley

salohalley New commenter

Right I have spoken to the headteacher . It will be reception age . So age 4 - 5 . I'm stuck now what to do any help please