1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job interview at independent school

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by scabbers88, Jan 18, 2016.

1. scabbers88

scabbers88 New commenter

hello,

I have an interview later on in the week at a private school. I have applied for a reception teacher role. I have a 20 minute lesson observation which I have planned for and have chatted with fellow teacher friends so feel in control with that. What happens happens and if it doesn't work out then it's not meant to be!

However, bit worried about what they could be looking for when comparing it to my state experience. Currently I'm in a very busy large school in a notorious estate. It's been a great start in my career (third year in) but I want to try something else (job starts in September). Also, if I went private, would it be difficult to get back into state if I found it wasn't for me?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there!

I have just answered this on the other forum, so I'll just copy what I wrote there.

So what is an Indy school looking for?

• Outstanding examination results. Spell it out with data
    • Understanding of the ethos of their type of school, and commitment to it
    • Generous contribution to the co-curricular programme
    • Willingness to go the extra mile

Take care with your lesson. Compare their results with your school. They will expect you to have high expectations, and pupils may well be a year advanced. There will also be no time wasting in the lesson, so make sure that you don't run out of material, and have a Plan B if you have the level wrong.

The worst thing in my school was candidates sticking like from death to a lesson plan that was clearly the wrong level and not challenging enough.

For general help on interviews, and tips on Indy schools come and ask on the Job seekers forum. Scroll down to find it!

Best wishes