1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job Interview after Dismissal (urgent)

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jonowen, Apr 24, 2012.

1. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Just sent you PM

2. replied :)

3. Likelihood of 'that' question? Infinitessimal.
    Size of problem when the lie is uncovered? Infinite.
    You need expert advice from a union or lawyer - or Theo on the jobseekers' forum.
    IMO you should NOT accept the job without disclosing. I once had a similar thing (no details on here, sorry, but thankfully now all ancient history) and had to disclose on the form when asked 'Have you ever been subject to...?' They usually did, somewhere...
    I would also think that GTC's records will have been passed to DFES (and they probably had a copy anyway).
    An awkward position, and I wish you well in it. But DON'T LIE about it ever again...

4. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I was also dismissed - long story - but my case was dropped by GTC. I was advised by my union regional official to write 'contract terminated' on any applications and to read a statement at the end of any interview which briefly highlighted what I was accused of, what I was actually dismissed for and what the GTC said.... this I have always done, especially (as others have already noted) under guidelines, HT's would have declare any CP investigation, even if the investigation found nothing and was not the reason for the dismissal. Since I was dismissed, I have found some HT's who have not responded positively, but others who have and I have worked in two schools since... I found my first job only 3 months after my dismissal... good luck!

5. Just wishing you all the best Lisa. Be open and honest, as you say you made a mistake. It shouldn't ruin the rest of your life.

6. @20 Lisa, that's great news and should enable you to approach the interview and the task in a positive frame of mind. Even if you don't get this one, it shows you that there is hope. Good luck!

7. Your post is the most encouraging thing to read. I did not get advice from my union and feel so depressed. I am trying to get the decision overturned at tribunal, but every time I write an application and have to write some explanation, it is like reliving the whole saga and there is no end in sight. I think your approach is definitely worth a shot, but presumably they did not take up references prior to interview?

8. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

For the first job, I wouldn't know... the second job (my current one) reference from school I was dismissed from did not arrive till after they had offered me the job. Job was offered, in formal letter, on grounds of CRB and medical only, not reference.
    I certainly can empathise with the reliving everything... it has been nearly 2 years and it still hurts, but life does go on and does get better - I am much happier now than I ever was in the school that did dismiss me!