1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job in the UAE

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by JessMRees, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Hi,

I have just finished my teacher training and have been offered a job at an international school in the United Arab Emirates. It is not an NQT job and follows the American curriculum. I have heard mixed reviews about international schools and I was offered the job very quickly. I now only have until Thursday to decide whether to accept it. I was wondering if anyone has ever taught in an international school in the UAE before and could give me some advice about it?

Thanks,

Jess

2. Hi,

I have just finished my teacher training and have been offered a job at an international school in the United Arab Emirates. It is not an NQT job and follows the American curriculum. I have heard mixed reviews about international schools and I was offered the job very quickly. I now only have until Thursday to decide whether to accept it. I was wondering if anyone has ever taught in an international school in the UAE before and could give me some advice about it?

Thanks,

Jess

3. I teach in the UAE and have done so for 5 years now. It really depends where you are going to be teaching and at what school. If you want to message me I can tell you more then?

4. Having taught in the UAE, my instinct is that a school recruiting an NQT is not one of the better ones. The very good ones can be very choosy about whom they appoint and usually insist upon at least two years' experience. Of course, there may be exceptions to this but that is what I saw and heard while there...

5. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

I would say that if your teacher training has been within the American curriculum, then you do not have too much of a problem. If you have no previous knowledge of how they do things over in the U.S. of A., then it looks as though you could have a big problem and I do not suppose that anyone at your new school is going to go out of their way to help you.