1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job hunting at UPS help me please!!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by smeldred, Jan 30, 2019.

1. smeldred

smeldred New commenter

Hello!! I'm currently searching for a new job. I am on UPS3. Lots of MPS jobs coming up. How should I approach these? Should I email and ask if I'd be considered? Or just apply and hope for the best? Or do I have no chance and need to wait for something that's advertised as UPS? This coming summer will be the third one where I've been applying for jobs. Need all the help and advice I can get!! Thanks

2. Lucy2711

Lucy2711 Occasional commenter

We will definitely look at someone who's over-qualified / over-experienced for the post advertised. Although it's rare that we go completely outside the range advertised when we appoint, we will negotiate to get someone we really want. But this needs to be at the point of the job offer, not later down the line when it's been accepted.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. NQT08

NQT08 Occasional commenter

You could always take the job with a pay cut to M6 - not ideal I know but if your are desperate for it it's a way to do it

agathamorse likes this.
  4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Just apply for the jobs which look/feel right for you. You usually have to fill in details of your current salary on the application form, so the school you’re applying to will be able to see that you are UPS3.
    It only becomes an issue if you are offered the job. That is the time to negotiate. Listen to what they are offering. If it’s not what you want, I guess you remind them of your current salary level and the experience etc. you feel you’d be bringing to the post and state the amount you feel you should be paid. This is the negotiating bit. And you just don’t know how it will go. You may be lucky and they really want you so will pay UPS3. If they won’t offer what you want, then ultimately you will have to decline.

agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.
  5. smeldred

smeldred New commenter

Lots of good advice so far. Thanks very much for commenting

ViolaClef likes this.
  6. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Agree with this totally. I guess you @smeldred have my problem that you're not comfortable with the unseemly haggling that grates with your public service ethos vs the wage you deserve.
    I have addressed this by buying beers for a friend of mine who is in business-to-business sales and so can cope with the BS that flows in both directions when negotiating. It doesn't matter that he knows nothing of education, I give him scenarios and he coaches me through them.

I now largely splash out the beers for supply pay negotiations but I would go to him for your situation.
    1. How to present myself in interviews.
    2. Levers to use when negotiating pay.
    3. Handling the contradictions that come from 1 and 2.
    Can you find this friend for yourself. Mine is well worth a lot more beers than I've invested in him and tea/biscuits are a lot cheaper.

ViolaClef likes this.
  7. smeldred

smeldred New commenter

Yes you are absolutely right- it seems wrong mentioning pay at all in the teaching world somehow!! Which is crazy! I would not of thought of this without you pointing it out but in fact my dad is a successful business man so I could speak to him if I manage to secure an interview! Usually I just speak to other teaching colleagues who have not really been in this position. Thanks very much!