1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job hunter

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by jeltjie, Oct 24, 2011.

1. jeltjie

jeltjie New commenter

Dear Theo
    I have had three interviews now and still do not have a job. I have asked for feedback from all three and they all have said the same thing. Sorry, you were our second choice, a strong candidate, good references, enthusiastic, proactive, blah blah blah, BUT in the end we chose someone with more experience. (I only have six months from a fixed term contract in one of the toughest schools out, with good references)
    I know I make a good impression but what can I do to make the final jump to first choice? What can I do extra to make a good interview great? I am already doing all the normal things, so what else?? Short of handstands and cartwheels I am out of ideas. Please help.

2. Three interviews isn't much. The more you go to, the better you'll get at them. xxx

3. catherine_ann

catherine_ann Occasional commenter

My advice is to just keep going! I have had 19 interviews and just secured two terms starting in January. I got my NQT from my placement school and so was very lucky. I have had much the same feedback as you from many of the interviews I have been to.
    As for tips and ideas, do you take lesson plans and resources into interviews? At my last interview I was asked about how I marked books. Being prepared I had a students book from my last teaching post which I was able to show the pannel and this went down very well! I always make sure that I have examples of good and bad lessons and how I could change or adapt a lesson ect. along with lesson plans to back these up. Even create a portfolio of work, photos and evidence of progress if you have anything from your last post. You need to make yourself memorable to the pannel, as there is a very strong field out there at the moment!
    Good Luck,
    Catherine

4. I've had 3 too and been unsuccessful.
    Keep going, we'll get there in the end although it doesn't feel like it!
    WOW!! 19 interviews Catherine_ann. I admire your perseverance. Well done.