1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job description AHT HELP!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by bigbrowneyes, Oct 19, 2018.

?

SHould this be part of a job description?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bigbrowneyes

bigbrowneyes New commenter

Hi all,

I recently had my Job description (yet to sign) and a few of the bullet points (under ‘ethos’ - rare in itself as I’ve googled examples from other schools) are very subjective. There have been a few issues with relationships in school - which I will not go into. However, one of the bullet points is ‘To actively rebuild trust’. I have emailed my union for advice- but am I wrong in thinking that this is the HT’s job? And that this part of my job description can be used to haul me over the coals should the HT choose to?

Advice would be very welcome as I’m not sure whether the issues that we are having have clouded my judgement.

To add: the DH and I have a great relationship with all the other teaching staff and TA’s

Thank you

2. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Head teacher is a Dick.

Mermaid7, steely1 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Like every other part of your job description, as long as you can show what you have done to achieve it all will be well.
    Your job is to actively help rebuild trust in SLT if that is what is needed. Part of that could be tricky conversations with the head, work with the DH as support.

I'm assuming you are a newly appointed AH as you are looking at your JD. It would be odd to say "It isn't my job to rebuild trust in the SLT, it's the Head's". Such a role requires all of SLT to work together to achieve it.

Pomza, strawbs and JohnJCazorla like this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

WHAT???

(I shall ignore the deplorable split infinitive!)

What does this mean?
    Trust between whom?
    How is this measurable?
    What constitutes active rebuilding?

I'm sure that, whatever this is supposed to be, the HT is at liberty to delegate it to you. If you're prepared to take it on.

Don't!

Just innocently check with HT/HR.

"I must be dim but I don't understand this one. What's involved? Would it be putting on a training course about trust? I need some specificity."

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  5. bigbrowneyes

bigbrowneyes New commenter

No I’m not new to the post, myself and the DH have both had a new one as SLT as part of our appraisal.

The trust has diminished because of an ongoing situation (not caused by me or the DH) and we and the other teachers are holding our amazing school together despite other issues.

The DH also has this in her job description. I just feel it is totally wrong to have in a job description and very unfair as I’m sure the person that actually needs it won’t have it in theirs!

We have also been told on numerous occasions that we should be ‘loyal’ and not ask difficult questions.

6. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I think you need to ask for clarification of what it means - it's completely open to interpretation, and so you need to know.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I would insist on having it deleted.
    If your colleague signed up to it? Up to them.

Act daft. Er, what? I don't get it. I don't know what that is. I thought someone else was in charge of that - whatever it means.

8. flyingcircusfreak

flyingcircusfreak New commenter

Although my not-being-told-the-whole-story alarm is going off, the only thing I object to there is the ‘re’.

Of course senior leaders should build trust within any organisation. And whilst you should of course ask difficult questions of the HT privately, there does need to be a sense of collective responsibility when speaking to other colleagues. No-one likes a member of SLT who constantly says ‘well it wouldn’t have been my decision’!

Pomza and caterpillartobutterfly like this.
  9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well, you say this
    then you say this
    so it doesn't take a Sherlock to think that there are or have been issues with your relationship with the HT, and also possibly between DH and HT.

I tried to think about why a HT would add this in to a job description,
    and all I can think of is that some grievance or pre grievance meeting has been held,or that one or both of you have committed some act which is open to being dealt with under a disciplinary procedure.

For a HT to forge a solution in the wake of this via your job description under "ethos" is a deep seated insecurity of theirs. Professional or personal, who cares. And if the person at the top is so deeply insecure it must feel like treading on glass.
    Well that wont change,will it? Not if they think they are paying you to change it.

I guess it's your call. Do you want to be contracted to nurse the ethos of the school when actually it shouldn't your job? I wouldn't. I'd ask for that bit to be removed, or I'd "rethink my position" entirely.

(btw I had an "ethos" clause in contract in only one school,and it was possibly the worst professional experience of my career. Complete abnegation from the top of the needs of others. As humans.)

10. install

install Star commenter

Ask the ht politely via email to clarify what this entails and if there is some 'history' that you need to be made aware of. That would be a start to building 'trust' if it is lacking...

Also - why the job descriptions now?