1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job change to different LA - pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by missrieen, Dec 11, 2018.

1. missrieen

missrieen New commenter

Hello,
    If I were to get another teaching post in a different LA, would my M6 pay remain the same? (Presuming I’d be employed on m6)

Is this something you would discuss at interview?

Thanks.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

No portability of pay any more; you would need to negotiate your pay. Some schools would expect to pay you what you're already getting, but you should check. It's probably best to ask about pay either at the end of the interview, or when offered the post. Do not accept the post without knowing what they will pay you - if it's a verbal offer, it would also be best to get a written record of that - perhaps confirm your acceptance by an e-mail: "This is just to confirm, as discussed on the telephone yesterday, that I am happy to accept the offer of a post as..., starting after Easter, paid at M6 on the teachers' mainscale." If they offer a post without mentioning pay, ask!

strawbs likes this.
  3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If you are right in presuming that you will be paid on M6, there is still the possibility that the rate might be different. Some schools and LAs have a split M6. It would be perfectly legal for a school to have a 10 point scale, in which case M6 would be a lot lower. If I were you, I would forget pay points, which have no meaning in STPCD, and specify the salary.

ScienceGuy, strawbs and JohnJCazorla like this.