1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job Centre want me to apply for non-teaching jobs

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by VCozens, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Has anybody else had the same problem with the Job Centre?
    I completed my PGCE last June and am still looking for my first post to complete my induction. I've done a bit of supply, and I'm all too aware that my 16-month time limit runs out in December (Yes I know I can apply for an extension!).
    Been going to the job centre - and they have not been very helpful at all. They ask what I've done and give me my money. They offer no support in how to help me with interview questions and answers or how to write the perfect covering letter and application. Although my agreement states that I need to look for office work and LSA jobs, I have only been looking for teaching jobs and applying for the occasional job that does get advertised near to me.
    This week they told me that I do need to start looking for other jobs too, as gaps of unemployment on my CV looks bad. The advisor said that even if I get a job lined up for September, I can't be sitting around for 6 months claiming JSA.
    For as start, I;m not sitting around, I'm looking for jobs left, right and centre. Jobs are few and far between, and as I don't drive, some jobs are just impossible to get to on public transport, even if they are 5 miles down the road, as I live in a rural area.
    Why did I even bother with all that hard work getting through university only to be told not to bother with teaching and to basically work in a job that doesn't need a degree!? Does anybody feel as depressed and disheartened about not having a job at all? It doesn't help that I studied with my brother-in-law at university and he walked into his teaching post; all is going brilliantly for him. I can't even go visit my neice any more because he practically smears it in my face that he has a job and I don't.

2. I was actually told this on my first ever sign-on/meeting with my advisor, who was as blunt in saying "I can't be sitting around for 6 months claiming JSA" with some added comments about 'forgetting' my training/University etc.
    Every 2 weeks vary for me depending on jobs going in education/childcare. Some 2 weeks, there is loads, others not so much. I apply for anything and the people who do the sign-on's do get bored and cut me off, when I'm barely half-way through listing what I have done. I have had only 1 interview that wasn't in childcare/education, and I'm nearing/just entered double figures when it comes interviews since July last year.
    I don't drive either but I am very lucky to live in an area with strong public transport links and employers think I'm dedicated when they learn I took 2 buses and a 10min walk to get there. To be honest, that's nothing out of the ordinary around here.
    At present, I do volunteer work 2-3 days a week and have been with this charity on and off for the past 3 1/2 years, during the latter part of my degree and PGCE course, so I can always ask them for an up-to-date reference :D I shall miss them when I finally land a job and can only help every other weekend, if that, lol. I think they'll miss me too. I also play Netball for a local team, so there is only a few days a week where I'm 'free' and dedicate to form filling, looking for jobs etc.
    You could always looking into volunteering for scouts/brownies etc - They are crying out for volunteers at the moment. The Job Centre encourage it, as long as it doesn't affect you getting a job.
    Hang in there - You're not alone!

3. I'm in the same position. I have been on JSA for 13 months now having applied for almost 100 teaching posts. My advisor has been fine and not pressured me into applying for other jobs as am will to drive up to an hour away and my only restraints are childcare(I'm a single parent). Next month I am being moved to the referral to work programme which basically can force you to work up to 30 hours a week in places like tesco or local factories for free. I'm hoping I get a post before that happens but I'm not holding much hope! Seems so unfair to work so hard for seemingly nothing. [​IMG]

4. Sorry to hear this but finally I'm not the only one. I qualified in June 2010 and have completed a term of my induction. I secured a year supply contract in a truly horrendous school (hence only 1 term being completed) last year and haven't taught since then.. No teaching on supply just nursery nursing. My job centre are exactly the same. I asked for help with interview questions and the reply "Teaching jobs are not our strong point and wouldn't know where to start" Great Help!!

I've done volunteer work but now I'm desperate to teach!! I feel exactly the same and my "friends" moan about their jobs and all i seem to do is fill in application forms and wait for the next interview which I get beaten as they have employed someone with more experience :-(

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

The JobCentre aren't there to help you (stupidly) although they should be giving you advice as to places that will (I know my hometown has a Skills Centre for help with CV's/Applications etc) Maybe this is something you could look in to?
    I understand why you just want to look for teaching jobs but you should have been looking for other work for your own priide if nothing else, did you look on the council websites for admin work in schools possibly?
    Yep I'm doing that just now and it sucks, but what was worse was sitting at home with nothing feeling worthless. I've been offered more interviews since starting there; it does seem to be Murphys Law that its easier to get a job when you have a job.
    Best of luck!! xx

6. mmm...Milk

mmm...Milk New commenter

Your adviser in the job centre has targets, they are supposed to get you into work ideally within the first 6 week,s then 13 weeks and then 26 weeks. They have to tell you to look for other jobs.As you have said yourself, there aren't many teaching jobs about. You can't hold onto the teaching dream for ever. Sorry, Harsh, but true. You can still look, but you have to consider other things.
    Also, the advisers job isn't to help you into work, their job is to listen to what you think is stopping you from getting a job, your barriers, and then finding out ways of helping you, and pointing you in the right direction. As far as helping you themselves, that is not their job.
    That is one of the problems in the DWP. People don't follow a job through. Like yesterday, I was on the telephone to them AGAIN, and first I spoke to the lucky fellow that can do little more than the fools in the call centre.[​IMG]. I have got nowhere with them, and am about to write a letter of complaint to the district manager.
    Sorry, I am ranting. I too am facing the work program, so it will be interesting to see what comes up there.
    Good luck with your job serach, but I 'm afraid it's time for a reality check. There aren't many jobs out there, and I have not been interviewed for many of those I am over qualified for. Also,many people employed in the job centre have got there because they can answer competancy questions, not because they will be any good at the job.

7. lily_w

lily_w New commenter

Sorry to hear you feel this way, I know what it's like. It sounds strange, but sometimes being in work (any work) can really make a difference. Like you, I was unemployed for months after finishing my PGCE. I went from July to December with nothing. In November, I managed to get a Christmas job in a department store and although I was working as a shop assistant earning a fraction of what I'd get in teaching (and I didn't need a degree for it), it gave me a bit of confidence back, got me out of the house and made me feel more positive.

I left that job in January and was lucky enough to get my teaching job two weeks later. It sounds weird but sometimes I wonder if having that bit of Christmas work changed my outlook, got me out of a rut and made me come across more confident and positive in interviews. Maybe considering some part time work that isn't what you always wanted to do isn't a bad thing. I know it made me feel better because it can be soul destroying being stuck at home applying for jobs and getting nowhere. It's about looking for a temporary solution sometimes.

8. F1sydney

F1sydney New commenter

I'm going for an JSA interview tomorrow. I finished the PGCE in Dec 2011 but have not applied for teaching jobs due to being unsure if I really want to do it after a 'challenging' training experience. I have applied for several jobs both support posts in schools and others - I can't even manage to get a job in Boots. I am now so fed up with not having any money, so for the first time I'm going down the benefits route. I signed up to a supply agency back in January but have not had even 1 days work, I was hoping it would build my confidence. However, all that has happened is day by day I am getting even more down and feel totally worthless. I'm worried I'll end up back in some s*** job again which I worked so hard to get out of.
    It feels strange from going to the full on experience of a PGCE to doing sod all.[​IMG]

9. Have you considered relocating? There are plenty of housesharing adverts and it would be a good way to meet new people.I don't live in my ideal part of London but it's close to my job and I work in a school full of Irish teachers who have moved across for work.