1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job being advertised

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by kittyorca, Jun 29, 2011.

1. My job is being advertised in the school where I work but I haven't given in my notice yet as I haven't heard about my degree class which I shoul;d know in 2 weeks time. In other words if I don't get the required grade I won't have a job to go back to. Am I being silly to feel a bit miffed about this?

2. Mine was the same!
    Although I do already have my degree class so that's not my issue, but I was waiting to hear back from all the health checks etc.
    I can understand why they need to do it, as they need to interview prior to the holidays to have someone in place for September, but at the same time I was upset that I was being replaced before I had actually resigned!
    I emailed the HT and she said that if I hadn't resigned that I would still have a job, but it put me in an awkward position and I ended up handing my resignation in yesterday after checking with my SCITT that everything was ok.
    However, today I've been sent my letter stating which school placement I have and it's in the opposite Key Stage to what I asked for so I've been sat here in tears, because I now have no job to return to in September (a job that I love) and will be spending 2 terms with the Key Stage I didn't request! I should be buzzing because teaching is all I want to do, but I can't help but be disappointed that I will only be spending one term with my preferred key stage. Written down that looks really selfish as I know people have missed out on places altogether but it's just the way I feel at the moment.....

3. Ok, after my intial sob I am now over it. I think the upset at handing my official resignation in and the emotional thank you cards I've had from some of my tutees have left me a bit wobbly.
    Onwards and upwards now, I'm sure we'll all be great!
    And as for your employers, they are obviously so sure that you will get the grades you need that they don't think there's any question in you going. The clearly have more faith in you than you have in yourself!

4. P.S. Don't resign until you know for sure that you have your place! (Although I'm sure I don't even need to say that!!)

5. Fully agree with what Stacey said. Even if you may not be giving the requiered notice period; you not get the grades and your place not come into fruition you would also be job less. Better to give slightly less notice; but just my opinion!