1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job at school in Dubai

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by hjlewis, Jun 25, 2011.

1. I have been offered a job in Dubai and need to decide by tomorrow. I will be an NQT but have worked with children for the past 8 years. I went to London for the interview last week and now need to let them know my decision.

Has anyone worked out there? What happens if you want to leave? its a 2 year contract which makes me a bit nervous incase i dont like it. Also its an islamic school which follows the international curriculum

thanks

2. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

Most (all?) UAE initial contracts are 2 years. It goes very quickly. Are you a muslim? if not you may find it difficult working in an Islamic school. International curriculum? are you familiar with this? if not it may take some getting used to.
    I would also be wary of any school giving you a 24 hour deadline to reply.
    PM me with details of the post (school, job title and salary) and I will let you know whether you should take it or leave it

3. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

An "Islamic" school that follows an "international" curriculum? Could this be an oxymoron? I would have thought that Islamic schools follow an Islamic curriculum.

4. The school is S*R*S and iv not heard many good things about it?

5. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Lovely! It looks like Al Qusais is going to get another sacrificial "virgin" for the alter!

6. This doesn't sound nice at all.

7. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Sorry, just been watching an episode of Supernatural. Besides which, it should have read "altar".
    The school is infamous for its turnover. I guess even NQTs have to go somewhere if they want a job in Dubai.
    It is easy for us to say don't go, but if it was a straight choice between supply in a cr*ppy inner city comp or a teaching in a dodgy school in Dubai, I would be packing my sun cream and heading towards the airport.

8. Avoid: hang on a couple of years and gain some experience, then apply to one of the more reputable Dubai schools where you will be paid and treated well. Such schools do exist. However, they generally won't look at anyone without at least two years' teaching experience - they can afford to be fussy.

9. Very good advice, You have done well coming onto this forum before taking the job. listen to the experience of others.

10. If I had know how bad the situation was going to be in the UK, with cuts, high inflation, changes to pensions, sever competition for jobs etc., etc, I would have stayed in Dubai and put up with the difficulties!!! At least I could save 3K a month there

Oh well, can't turn back the clock!