1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job asks for cv and covering letter-i have a copy of both my references, shall i add?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by natalia2008, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Hi,

I am going to apply for a job by online appliciation.

I
    am upload a covering letter and CV. I do however have a copy of both my
    references (final report from tutor and from school). These are both
    very good reports.Will this help to get me shortlisted or not at all as
    they just asked for cv and covering letter.

Should i attach to the end of my covering letter/cv or wait until they ask these off my referees.

Thankyou

2. Hi,

I am going to apply for a job by online appliciation.

I
    am upload a covering letter and CV. I do however have a copy of both my
    references (final report from tutor and from school). These are both
    very good reports.Will this help to get me shortlisted or not at all as
    they just asked for cv and covering letter.

Should i attach to the end of my covering letter/cv or wait until they ask these off my referees.

Thankyou

3. It seems to have worked for me. I string all the required documents (including referee list if required) together in a PDF and then attach my three scanned written references to the end of it. I have had a couple of positive responses because of this, so I'll keep doing it. I'm sure some schools would ditch my application because I didn't follow the directions to the letter, but I guess I'll never know.
    Of course, if the advertisement says, "only send those documnets we have requested", then I probably wouldn't attach the scanned references.

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I am personally a bit dubious about references that are handed out to the people who they are regarding. References are meant to be confidential, and I don't think they can be if they are not between employers.

5. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Karvol, I'd tend to agree with you, but I think this is the norm in some countries, where what you can say in a reference is very strictly controlled. In fact, in the USA and UK a lot of firms will now do no more than confirm that you worked for them.

I'm in Germany, and I'm told I have an inviolable right to demand an open reference if I so wish. But having said that, if I was hiring someone I'd almost certainly want a private chat with a few referees.

6. All my references have something along the lines of, "for further information please don't hesitate to contact me" written in them. My referees on my referee list are the same people who wrote the scanned references. You can chose to read them or not.

7. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

If it works for you then go for it, and good luck to you.
    None of the schools I have ever applied to have requested references along with the application. Referees, yes, but references, no.