1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job as a Cover Supervisor, should I take it?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by mia_1, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Hi

I recently applied for a support role that I felt would be very interesting. The school replied to me yesterday stating that I was not short-listed but would I consider a role as a Cover Supervisor?

At the moment I have a temporary admin role and therefore am not desperate, I am also doing supply.

I do not want to be a Cover Supervisor but could it be a way in?

2. Hi

I recently applied for a support role that I felt would be very interesting. The school replied to me yesterday stating that I was not short-listed but would I consider a role as a Cover Supervisor?

At the moment I have a temporary admin role and therefore am not desperate, I am also doing supply.

I do not want to be a Cover Supervisor but could it be a way in?

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

<u> If</u> you weren't <u>in</u> employment and needed just anything I'd say "Take it", though doubt if it would lead to an actual teaching role 'further down the road'.
    In fact, with supply now dead for me, I'm looking at TA, LSA whatever, but realise that (in view of my age & cost to a school) once I take that direction, it's unlikely I'd be considerd for a teaching role again, which is why I've delayed it as long as possible.
    Unless you actually like the sound of the job, you might like to wait awhile.

4. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

It sounds like they might be hoping to get a teacher on the cheap. Find a little more out, get a job spec and it looks like they want you to teach a class quiry it. Also if the job spec is just supervising cover and you take it stick to just supervising cover.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

A CS role is much better than an admin job. You can use it as training for yourself in discipline if nothing else.
    But supply is much better than CS. If you are getting supply, then stick with it. If you are not, then start weighing up the pros and cons.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    Best wishes

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

As usual, Theo has given you a very sensible balanced argument.
    Many of us here are very emotive, in view of our personal circumstances, so do take heed of balanced informed opinion.

7. Thank you for all your replies. I am waiting for the school to get back to me with details on the job.