1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job Applications

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Nov 4, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

I am beginning to wonder if the whole issue of teacher's job applications is a ploy to stop us from moving on to other schools or progressing.(tongue in check).When you think about workload and the time we spend on school work, how on earth are we going to find the time to fill in one of these repetitive forms in order to move on?

This to me is why many of us end up in unhappy teaching situations for years!

Why do you have to do a separate application for each school for a teaching job that is going to be the same as the one you are leaving?

I have noticed the introduction of quick applications which are a godsend - why aren't more schools doing this?

I have 6 jobs saved to apply for, but for each one I have to go through the tedious act of putting in the same details even copying and pasting is long winded.

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I generally use the same application for each school, if it's an LA one, for all the boring bits. Then I write the personal statement to suit the job description. What annoys me is that the online LA form is so badly formatted that sections jump to new pages.

3. delmamerchant

I have been looking at different schools in different areas. Sooo tedious and time consuming. Yes the forms are badly formatted.

4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

That is a pain.It would certainly be easier if every LA had the same form.

5. scott1980

scott1980 Occasional commenter

I took anti depressants in the end to buoy me up to apply for jobs.when applying you have to be emotionally resilient.it worked and i got a lovely job.

delmamerchant likes this.
  6. delmamerchant

Seriously!!!. I won't go that far.:). all the best in the new post.

7. defenceagainstthedarkarts

defenceagainstthedarkarts Occasional commenter

I do find it an incredibly draining process and one I had to really gear myself up for.

Then actual interviews are hideous.

8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

D'you know, I think the way to do them is extremely quickly, I really do. Easy to over-think. Pare it down, make the employer get curious, rather than discard through tedium.
    • Give yourself three days.
    • Get up half an hour early each day.
    • Speed write some of it. Done in two or three sessions.
    • Then check it over the next session or two.
    • Remove all adverbial clutter
    • Bullet points are fine in your cover letter.
    • Why not? They work in this post, no?

9. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Wouldn't it be even easier if there were no forms?