1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job Applications

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by katnoodle, Apr 3, 2011.

1. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

If it helps, I've been shortlisted for two posts that didn't say specifically that they welcomed NQTs. I've obviously avoided any vacancies that are clearly for more experienced teachers. I'd say it can't hurt to apply; you might be just what they're looking for.

2. mushroomz

mushroomz New commenter

Apply for anything and everything. Send off speculative applications to schools that interest you (whatever exclamations of horror you might be met with from the teaching / lecturer fraternity). I got my current job by doing just that!

Also, when typing /writing a letter of application, use a 'different' coloured paper to bog standard white. And a better quality of paper too. It's supposed to make your application stand out!

Don't be disheartened by rejections. You will probably get loads - if you're lucky, that is! Many schools will probably just ignore your initial application and won't even get in touch to tell you that you have been rejected!....

....But in the end, there's the right job just waiting for you!! It might take a while, but it's there! Be positive and determined!!!!!

ALL THE BEST!! GOOD LUCK!!!![​IMG]

3. Thanks for the reply. As I'm sure you know, it takes so much time to fill out any application form and didn't want to waste time on those that I hadn't a chance with. This has motivated me to look at other posts.
    Unfortunately I don't seem to be getting anywhere at the moment with the shortlisting :( Good luck with yours though!

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

What utter piffle. Whilst some schools might 'have the budget available' to pay for more experience, it doesn't mean to say they'll get such candidates applying, does it? Sensible (i.e. most) heads want as many applicants as they can muster, from which they will shortlist the best candidates - a lot of experienced candidates, I can tell you, can be knocked into a cocked hat by good NQT applicants.
    Apply for any jobs you fancy that you are qualified for (i.e. not TLR posts). The comments by these heads merely shows that they're promoting people to headships who shouldn't be trusted to run a car boot stall.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Do not use coloured paper. Please!
    Your application will be photocopied anyway. If someone from SLT does happen to see your coloured application, their likely reaction is: What a twit.
    Go to theJobSeekers Forum and read the clickables inside the Welcome thread about getting yourself shortlisted.
    Apply for any post for which you meet the person specification. If it says Experiened teacher then obviously you don't comply. Otherwise, go for it, as MiddleMarch says.
    P.S. If you want extra help on the whole applications scene:
    <h3>I met Theo..... </h3>_____________________________________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    The TES Careers Advice service runs seminars and workshops, one-to-one careers and applications advice, one-to-one interview coaching and an application review service.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews.
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

6. My advice would be to visit schools where you are thinking of applying. Many headteachers won't consider you if you haven't unless you have an outstanding letter of application. If you do visit make sure you do your research beforehand so that you can ask relevant questions.
    Good luck!

7. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I think they were thinking along the lines of cream linen 120gsm or something classy (at least thats what I assumed!)
    Although on this note when I worked in industry we had a CV come in on rainbow paper, it went straight in to the bin without a glance. Shame really because I had a peek and they might have had a chance if they'd not used such ridiculous paper. x

8. I have visited as many as I can but with a full time teaching commitment and working a good half hour/40 mins away from the area I live in (where I am applying now) visiting schools can be difficult. I rang one schools and their visits were 2.30pm - non-negotiable - how does that work for those already reaching or wishing to relocate? I can;t keep asking for time off to look round schools as that is not fair on my current school.
    Personally I think it is wrong of heads to bin applications just because peeps didn't look round but I know it happens. That said, I have taken to phoning and asking about the school and if I can get to look round then I do but if not I ask what I want to know on the phone and explain on my application letter who I spoke to on the phone and that I was unfortunately unable to attend because of a current full-time teaching commitment some 20 miles away. If this doesn't show a sense of loyalty, then it isn;t the right school for me.
    I understand why heads want people to visit but some schools have a two week window to apply and with timetables and comittments in schools they need to understand they may be turning down a potentially great person because they are loyal to the current place of work (even though they are looking for another job!)