1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job applications

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by kerrence, Mar 3, 2011.

1. I have noticed a job advertised in the international section online, it asks for marital status and how many dependents - is this discrimination? Are they allowed to ask for this information?

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Rule number 1:
    When not in the UK do not assume UK rules apply.
    In very many countries not only is it acceptable to ask these things, it is also normal. Even though these things have been asked, do not assume there is anything untoward behind the request.
    In many countries the school will process your employment visa. You yourself will have to sponsor your partner and your children to enable them to have a residence permit. Usually this will only happen if your partner is married to you and your children are, well, yours. I have known of people in the UAE being refused residence permits for adopted children.
    As for the number of dependents, if a school is to provide you with accommodation it is quite relevant.

3. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

It can be discriminatory, and if the question is asked it almost certainly will be.
    However, the discrimination may be in the favour of those married with kids as easily as against; although if Harry D's advice is to be accepted (always worthwhile) then it is generally a negative to be married and seeking posts overseas.
    In the UK it is seen as unacceptable to ask about marital status - whilst not strictly illegal it has been argued that such a question may be discriminatory against homosexuals. If you are openly gay, especially if you are with a partner, you will find many doors close. Homosexuality is illegal in many countries outside Europe, so better to adopt a don't ask don't tell approach. If you are gay and you and your 'life partner' want to work overseas together it is better to avoid sending in a joint application as I have seen land on my desk recently!!
    If you are worried about discrimination then perhaps working overseas is not for you. The world outside the UK has a different perspective on various matters and if you feel racism, religious intolerance, ageism, sexism, etc is something you can't live with then you won't enjoy life in many non-European countries. I'm not advocating turning a blind eye, but I am saying you have to be tolerant of the opinions of those who have a different world view, whatever that view is. I find many folk who witter on about racism, sexism, etc are generally intolerant folk in general - bunch of facists...[​IMG]