1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

job applications

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ltollman, Feb 20, 2011.

1. ltollman

ltollman New commenter

Dear Theo,

I'm new to this forum - and to this process in general, so I may have a number of questions, I'm afraid!

Firstly, in the application form(s) I've seen so far, the section called 'Personal Statement' seems to be quite a rigorous affair where they give a full page to write your answer and say you should continue on a separate sheet if necessary. For this reason, I've made my answer quite detailed and structured (not bullet-pointed), using the person spec. / job description, and it takes up about two pages. In my covering letter, I've been including just the 'highlights' of my suitability for the post. Is that right? Another contributer said she was 'more descriptive' in the covering letter, which you said was the right thing, but what does more descriptive mean .... ? Also, does the executive summary constitute a separate sheet of paper, i.e. application form (including personal statement), plus covering letter, plus executive summary? Finally, with a handwritten covering letter for an independent school, how does one format the address / date stuff at the top - just your own address (and name?) on the right hand side, or the school's address on the left as well?

Many thanks!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hi there new boy!
    Tip for next time: best to number your Qs - for the convenience of This Old Man!
    I would suggest that you did, normally, the following:
    a) put your exec summary on the page on the application form
    b) have an application letter which sets out in full, and in an orderly fashion, why you are the person for the job.
    BUT . . .
    They have asked for a hand-written covering letter . . . So, I suggest the following:
    a) have full personal statement, typed of course, on application form and extra sheet.
    b) Have exec summary as an additional sheet
    c) have a covering letter that is very brief and hand-written. Both yours and the school's address should be on it.
    Best wishes
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

3. ltollman

ltollman New commenter

Thanks a lot for this! Very clear.