1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job applications within Catholic schools

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by leo2690, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Is it just me that thinks it is completely wrong that schools can say "must be practising Catholic?" If you're willing to uphold the Catholic faith within schools what's the problem? Massively discriminative, could you imagine the uproar if it was "must be white" ridiculous!
    It
    really angers me, im not religious at all however was brought up in a C of E school and have taught in one where every day I led prayers and conformed to the religious
    traditions of the school, no problem! But this job is basically saying
    they'd rather have someone who is a devoted catholic than decent
    teacher. Im all for religious schools but not ones that are so
    narrowminded.
    How can schools get away with this????

2. They can get away with it because they are either wholly or largely funded by the catholic education service (ie they are either independent or largely independent). Not so long ago they were all entirely independent.
    Why do they do it? Because education in catholicism is central to these schools and is every bit as important to them as literacy and numeracy. To them a non-catholic can't possibly contribute to the evangelisation of the children, if you don't go to catholic church every week how can you tell the children they should?
    Is it a good thing? I don't think it is, i wouldn't be particularly keen on a child of mine attending a catholic school, but they can be the best available school in the area. A friend of mine who is quite a strong atheist having been brought up in catholic school, suddenly rediscovered his love of going to church and a willingness to donate money to the school to see his child go there as the school performed well. However, as it's largely an independent education, they probably do have certain rights to do what they please and apparently the parents of the children support that. By the same token independent schools educate children in ways i wouldn't be keen on either, but it's the choice of those paying for it.
    Do the children suffer? Possibly, but if the school becomes undesireable to the parents it will presumably lose pupils, lose money and will eventually close. I suppose in that case, those that are still running are performing fine and hence so are the staff they employ.
    Again not that long ago, these schools would have been run and staffed almost entirely by nuns.