1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job applications - secondary

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by cys2017, Jun 21, 2018.

1. cys2017

cys2017 Occasional commenter

quick question, does anyone know how long after submitting a job application you are usually notified for an interview? Also do they always tell you if you are unsuccessful or do you have to directly email and ask after a while when you realiseyou have not heard anything back?

I have applied for secondary teaching roles and classroom assistant in secondary. Is that makes any difference?

Many thanks
    Cys2017

2. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

You are very rarely told if you are unsuccessful
    Rule of thumb - if you haven’t heard within a fortnight of closing date you are unsuccessful

cys2017 likes this.
  3. cys2017

Oh okay I only applied 2 days ago. Say if I was unsuccessful for one and in the future I applied to that same school again would my chances be reduced?

Also is it true that you have to go in and visit the school. Score submitting application or it is not considered?

Many thanks
    Cys2017

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

How long is a piece of string?

Usually if you check the 'closing date', most interviews will take place within the next couple of weeks, possibly even sooner at this time of year with such a short timeframe to end of term. We've even heard about an interview happening before closing date so don't delay getting in any applications. But generally you'd hear in the first week after closing date.

As to hearing whether you're successful or not, again usually if after an interview you haven't heard within a few days you have to assume you haven't got the post. As to applications, years ago you were informed, 'That on this occasion you have been unsuccessful' but nowadays they don't always 'follow-up' particularly if they had lots of applications and are busy at the end of term.

5. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

To answer your first question no - schools tend not to remember names of people they have rejected out of hand

In regards second question school visits tend to be primary

Nothing to stop you ringing up to ask if it is not in application pack.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. cys2017

What do you mean by primary? As in primary education?

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Yes usual abbreviations Primary refers to Primary education 5-11, Secondary 11-16/18 and FE with which you're already familiar to Further Education.

cys2017 likes this.
  8. cys2017

Does anyone know what the written tests at interviews usually involve? Because on a few of the grids of the person specification they state some things will be assessed by a written test.

9. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

What’s the job for and what is on the grids?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.