1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job application

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Alice W., Mar 29, 2012.

1. Alice W.

Alice W. New commenter

Dear Theo,
    I'm completing a job application form and am struggling with one particular part of the person specification. It should be easy, but I just keep going round in circles. It's 'Understanding of pupil's educational development'. I'm applying for both a KS1 and KS2 job, separately of course! Any advice from you would be much appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

N.B. tip for next time: Write Dear Theo as part of your title - I don't always open every thread on the off-chance it says Dear Theo inside!
    ADo you mean an application form with little boxes for you to say how your experience meets their requirements? That's a sort of official Executive Summary! And if you have no idea what I'm talking about, then you need to go to the Welcome thread and read the two shortlisting clickables in there.
    [​IMG]
    So if you have a box to fill in, then say what you have as experience in this area. If you are a serving teacher, you say: 2 year's successful experience teaching Year3 or whatever.
    If you are a NQT, you say Successful first teaching practice in Year 3 at St Gemma's RC School.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

3. Alice W.

Alice W. New commenter

Sorry Theo,
    It's not in a box. It's what the school have put as part of their person specification and is first (in a line of 8 items) in a list under the title Philosophy, Professional Knowledge and Understanding. It's driving me mad!!!!!!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Have a look in your files. You must have notes on it somewhere. It's bound to have been part of your training.
    You are probably more able to answer it than many teachers who have been away from the theory for some time.
    Certainly more able than I am!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

5. Alice W.

Alice W. New commenter

Dear Theo,
    I think you're assuming I'm recently qualified but I'm not. I've been teaching for over 25 years, so need more help now than ever. I came to one of your Saturday half day courses about a month ago (applications and interviews) and I found it very useful. Despite this, I sometimes still struggle with what schools are getting at.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Immediate tongue in cheek comment, in view of how long ago you trained, might be 'I'm familiar with Piaget's stages of cognitive development'!
    Seriously though, might it be that the younger ones have to experience by doing (Piaget's concrete operations) wheras as they develop they can start to imagine/visualise etc?

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, I did jump to that conclusion! Many of our posters are.
    Trawl through this to see if there's anything that can help you.
    https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/eOrderingDownload/DCSF-RR061.pdf
    And glance at this page: https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/eOrderingDownload/DCSF-RR061.pdf
    Then think about specific examples of how you manage the learning to take in the main points of these. After so many successful years, you do it automatically, so you just need to be reminded of the theory.
    Are you sure that you haven't still got your PGCE notes folder in the loft? [​IMG]
    Best wishes

8. Alice W.

Alice W. New commenter

Thank you for the links, Theo.
    I did a B.Ed. Hons degree and I (proudly) don't have anything in my attic. All I have left of my college days is in my head (and that's not much!). Oh - and I kept my dissertation about reading.
    Alice W.