1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job Application Shortlisting Feedback

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Jamielittlechild, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Jamielittlechild

Jamielittlechild New commenter

Hello,

after applying for a few jobs via TES jobs, has anyone been ignored from the school?

I have emailed the schools and called to find out if I have been successful with shortlisting – and at the very least just to gain feedback on why I have not been shortlisted, but nothing!

I contacted TES jobs via the live chat page – who advised me their website is only a platform and they went on to "thank" me for the feedback. My applications are currently in a status of 'submitted' and some were submitted x3 weeks ago.

Surely, some function should be added to the TES job system to send a message that says successful, unsuccessful, applications on hold etc. It would be beneficial so applicants like myself are not left hanging as its disheartening.

Thanks,

J

DexterDexter and mswisdom like this.
  2. studentfairy

studentfairy New commenter

I have found the most schools will not contact you if you weren't successful.

BYusuf, DexterDexter and agathamorse like this.
  3. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

Schools will only contact you if they want to interview you. Most ads state when the school intends to interview and if you haven't heard anything from them by that date, you haven't been shortlisted.

Lara mfl 05 and ViolaClef like this.
  4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

And if you weren’t shortlisted for interview they will not give feedback. You only get feedback if you were unsuccessful in the interview and weren’t offered the job - and then not always. If you didn’t get shortlisted you must assume that:
    • You did not match enough of the criteria in the person spec
    • There were spelling mistakes or grammatical errors in your application
    • It was a strong field of candidates and you were not in the top 4-6 in terms of matching their criteria

Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.
  5. DexterDexter

DexterDexter New commenter

I got some feedback on an unsuccessful application:
    The person showing me round thought I was too keen :eek:
    The experience/subjects I was offering they didn’t want (although they didn’t specifically ask):eek:
    And... get this... although I was the only person who showed I knew where education was heading and it was in the person spec, this wasn’t important in the end:eek:

All a load of tosh

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It usually is - ignore it.

Personally if you didn't get the job then don't bother asking for feedback.

Just move on.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. BYusuf

BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

Hi Jamielittlechild,

Quite simply, if you don't hear anything, you have not been shortlisted for the role.

I can only recall one occasion where I was contacted by the school to thank me for my application yet I was not successful.

I would not invest time in emailing for feedback unless I was actually interviewed yet did not get the role. Even then, I would think twice about whether or not it would be a worthwhile investment of my time to ask for feedback...

Regards,
    Bukky

agathamorse likes this.
  8. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

Feedback is useful, but take it with a pinch of salt.

A lot of recruitment comes down to this - can we see this person working in our team? Sometimes the best qualified candidate just doesn’t seem right for the school.

The annoying thing is when you get feedback and they have clearly misunderstood something you said. For example, in one interview I said that I believed marking was most useful when teachers use it to examine their impact and build that into the next lesson. When I got feedback, they said that they were surprised I said that marking didn’t serve any purpose. This taught me to be very clear in my explanations.

DexterDexter likes this.