1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job application questions!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Happystarling6, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Happystarling6

Happystarling6 New commenter

Hi all,

I'm hoping some of you who have applied for different jobs can help me out on a couple of questions (I'm in my second year of teaching at the same school so I've only ever written one application and I can't remember it been this complicated).

1- When filling in an application and emailing it, it asks you to sign it on the last page and you also have to sign the equal opportunities form, so do I print out the last page, sign it, then scan it and send it off? Or do I just type my name?

2- I need to write a cover letter and there is another section for a personal statement, I don't really want to repeat myself so what is the difference between them?

Thanks for any advice! I guess after a few applications I will find this easier (hopefully!)

2. BYusuf

BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

Hi Happystarling6,

1. The easiest thing would be to have a scan of your signature that you can then copy and paste into your application form before emailing it. Alternatively, you can type your name, as many schools will want the completed electronic application form returned. If you are successful in your application, some schools will get you to sign these particular pages in person.

2. The cover letter you write should be one side of A4 and be a brief overview of the following:
    • the role you are applying for
    • your experience
    • the skills you have which make you suitable for the role that you are applying for.
    The personal statement will give you the opportunity to expand upon these points and include examples of impact you have had in your career.

All the best with your applications,
    Bukky

3. J.M.Powell

J.M.Powell New commenter

I agree with BYusuf. The signature is not a big deal-typing it will be fine, but inserting a scanned signature is a good idea.
    The cover letter only needs to be brief-there is no need to write the same thing twice. Assuming you've visited the school for a look round, you could also make reference to this, drawing out particular aspects that have attracted you to the post.
    Remember that the application is just about getting you as far as the interview, so address the points asked for, reference relevant experience and pick up on elements of practice that you've seen when you looked round that you feel align with your own practice.
    Good luck!

BYusuf likes this.
  4. Happystarling6

Happystarling6 New commenter

Thank you both for your replies, really helpful and much appreciated!