1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job application - not sure if to apply

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by rainbowgirlrocks, Mar 15, 2012.

1. I am currently doing GTP at a very good school which I like, but I am living apart from my husband. When I took the GTP position, he did not know where he would be working in the next year, so it seemed like a sacrifice we could make. He has just been given a more permanent job (starting September) in the place where he is currently living, and a very good job is being advertised just down the road from where he will be living in September. The dilema is should I apply for this job?
    The school is a very good academic school (as is the one I am at atm), although they do teach different courses/boards then I do currently. It would be ideal as I would be able to live with my husband, we would not have to pay rent in two places, and would not have to do an expensive and long commute each weekend. I also like the area where my husband is more, and have more friends there.
    However, I am worried what would happen if I applied for the job, informed my school, and then did not get it. This could make things difficult, although my colleagues do sympathise with the position that I am in. I also feel like I may be letting the current school down, although I could give plenty of notice and have not been given a full contract for next year to sign yet.
    Could moving now hurt my career? At the most I think I could only stand one more year apart from my husband, but would it be better to stick out my NQT year in my current school?

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

In the circumstances, I don't think any school or individual is going to hold it against you if you apply for posts near your husband's work. (If they did, would you really want to work for a school that thinks your career should take priority over your marriage.)
    Don't worry about "letting the school down": people move on, and you're proposing moving in September which is the least disruptive time.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

People move jobs and locations all the time. Apply and see if you get the post - it seems doing so could give you a much better quality of life.

4. Approach it as "I love working here but would like to move to live with my husband (which is rather understandable) but only if the right job comes along".

5. Thank you for all of your replies. I think I will go ahead and fingers crossed I get the job.