1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job Application Help

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by christianwest, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I am applying for a job that asks for a completed application form, supporting statement (which there is space for on the application form) and a covering letter.
    Should I.....
    1. Write a full letter of application refering to job spec and put a bullet point executive summary in the supporting statement section or..
    2. Write a basic cover letter, a full and detailed supporting statement refering to job spec and do a bullet point executive summary on a separate sheet?
    I was confused by your point on an earlier post which says......
    The confusing thing is that sometimes the school doesn't understand what
    a covering letter actually is, and so they ask you to write a covering
    letter when in fact they mean a letter of application, so you need to
    keep your wits about you! No-one ever asks you to write a real covering
    letter;

So can i assume when they write 'cover letter' they really mean 'letter of application' even if there is a supporting statement on the application form?
    Thank you
    Christian

2. Hello,
    I am applying for a job that asks for a completed application form, supporting statement (which there is space for on the application form) and a covering letter.
    Should I.....
    1. Write a full letter of application refering to job spec and put a bullet point executive summary in the supporting statement section or..
    2. Write a basic cover letter, a full and detailed supporting statement refering to job spec and do a bullet point executive summary on a separate sheet?
    I was confused by your point on an earlier post which says......
    The confusing thing is that sometimes the school doesn't understand what
    a covering letter actually is, and so they ask you to write a covering
    letter when in fact they mean a letter of application, so you need to
    keep your wits about you! No-one ever asks you to write a real covering
    letter;

So can i assume when they write 'cover letter' they really mean 'letter of application' even if there is a supporting statement on the application form?
    Thank you
    Christian

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I suggest that you put the executive summary on the form, and write a proper letter of application.
    Yes, that's right! Which is why it makes sense to put an executive summary in there.
    Well done for finding the clickables with the advice! And good luck with the applications.
    Best wishes