1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job application...help!!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by jhutchinson10, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Hello all!
    I am currently applying for my first teaching post. Most application forms are asking for employment history, but as I have never left education, what should I put down? I used to help out at my uncle's business doing the odd office job, paperwork etc, but thats it. They say you should fill in ALL of the application so I'm really stuck on this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

2. Do what the application says - include ALL of your past employment. If you have none, then you can't put anything. If you were an "Occassional Administrative Assistant" then put that. Include approximate or generic dates (eg, during university holidays).
    Apart from that, have you seriously NEVER had a job? Not even something during uni?

3. Thanks for the advice.
    And no I haven't. Not through choice...I must have sent over 120 CV's over my time at university with no luck. Most of my teaching placements have been a fair distance away from my uni meaning I've spent a lot of time away, not very appealing to employers.

4. And I have never left full time education, going from school to college and then onto university.

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Most applications forms are general documents used for both experienced and NQTs. The previous work section is obviously applicable for more experienced people. Generally for NQTs you should list relevant employment post 18 particularly working with children. Temporary summer and holiday work is not particularly relevant.
    If part of the form is not applicable then write not applicable or leave blank