1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job application for a learning mentor at a primary school

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by skjas, May 24, 2007.

1. I am a classroom assistant applying for a learning mentor job. Can anybody give me any information on how to follow the person specification and interview ideas. Got to hand my job application form in tommorow. Just wrrid about wording on application form.

2. I am a classroom assistant applying for a learning mentor job. Can anybody give me any information on how to follow the person specification and interview ideas. Got to hand my job application form in tommorow. Just wrrid about wording on application form.

3. write the personal statement by mentioning the work that you have done to cover the spec, so good team member....how you work with the team mentioning your people skills, working alongside the teacher, maybe team teaching etc

the examples dont all have to be school related but you need to show that you have all the qualities and skills they are looking for

also mention where you have been successful in any areas, maybe running a club or similar, and where your skills lie, interest in specific subjects that may relate to the role. Also why and how you feel you are qualified to take on a mentoring role, previous experience in this area

have some ideas of questions to ask at interview, such as training, how the role will grow, anything you would like to initiate, maybe look on the Learning Mentor site for ideas

dq
    www.ta.forumup.org

4. Talk about your knowledge of barriers to learning and methods to overcome this. If you have done anything in your job, formally or informally to work in these areas, mention them. Areas include behaviour, self-esteem, social skills etc.

At the interview expect:-
    - questions assessing your knowledge of barriers to learning
    - questions about confidentiality
    - questions about inter-agency working
    - questions about boundaries
    - questions about child protection
    - questions about working with teachers/other staff
    - questions about possible methods of intervention that you could use - 1:1 counselling, classroom support with particular pupils, target sheets, group work and any relevant experience to it.
    - equal opportunities question
    - every child matters?
    - extra-curricular activities?

I'm a learning mentor but wasn't actually interviewed for the post but got it by default after going for a TA job at the same time, but this is what I'd ask if I was interviewing.

hope this helps
    ariom
    g_5a7@lycos.co.uk