1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job application - do I tell them I'm a carer?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mrs Mo, Jul 8, 2011.

1. I've seen a job that I'd really like to apply for - it is perfect for me; fewer hours than I'm currently doing and it's local so I'd be saving about an hours travel time every day.
    My problem is that I;m a carer for my mum. Currently she doesnt need that much supervision and can be left for a few hours a day (we suspect she has early dementia but this hasnt been confirmed yet.) If I apply for this job, do I admit to being a carer? This is basically the reason why I can only work part time and am applying for this job, which is 18.5 hrs a week.
    My mum's care needs are only going to get worse and will eventually start to impact on any job I may have. I do feel this will be a put-off to any employer. So do I mention it or just keep quiet?

2. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

You are under no obligation whatsoever to tell them

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I have a similar problem. My Mum has been diagnosed with 'dementia of the Alzheimer's type' and as we probably missed the early signs, she's now in the moderate stage.
    At an informal visit to a school, I mentioned that I was looking at part-time because of care for my mum and I wasn't invited to interview. Now this could have been for other reasons, but this Head, who was showing me round, is my second reference and former Head!
    So I would recommend not mentioning it.
    Even if dementia is diagnosed they can stay a long time in each stage and it might be years before it impacts on her care.

4. Thanks for your replies. My feeling was not to mention it at any point. If they ask me why I dont want full time work, perhaps I'll just say its cos I have a young child.

5. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

You could honestly say that part-time would fit in with your family better!! Good luck.

6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Do you have a young child though?
    I don't understand why they would ask you why you don't want to work F/T. Surely they might be more inclined to ask why P/T hours appealed to you. I'm not getting at you Mrs Mo, but it just annoys me that people going for jobs even have to think about all these intrusive questions; it's none of their business why certain hours suit more than others, in the same way that it would be none of their business if you wanted to take a second job in the evenings.
    Everybody has their own version of the ideal work/life balance, no one should have to justify that to a potential employer.
    Over and out! [​IMG]

7. I would just say - if at all asked - that part-time is the option that fits in with your life best and which means you can commit fully to the job you have applied for.
    You are not obliged to give details of your personal life at all and if it is advertised as a p/t job, they shouldn't be asking you why you want p/t anyway!

8. I definitely would not mention. It is not their business until it does actually impact on work and when the issue does arise then they will at that time need to know a basic outline of why. Need to know basis, I'd say. That could be in a year or a few years. All of us have things happen in our lives whch we can't completely predict or predict at all. Them at work are used to dealing with staff issues like this because that unfortunately is life.