1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job application asks for ib..what to write

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by loujb, Jan 29, 2011.

1. I am applying for hof at a school in India.
    They specifically ask for someone who's taught ibdp Eek! I've taught igcse at an international school and have taught overseas (I'm in the uk now) but haven't taught ib.
    I've done lots of research on it..
    How do I address this in my letter? Weave in features of the ib? Paragraph mentioning my understanding of it and keenness to learn? Or is it a no-go?

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Post this on the Teaching Overseas section and you should get more opinions.
    In my opinion, as an IB teacher, you should be able to get a job as a teacher in an IB school without IB experience but as a HoF I think you are reaching too far. It would be pretty similar to someone who hasn't taught A Level trying to become a HoD in the UK. What sort of leadership are you going to give to a department if you do not know what you are talking about?
    The thing with the IB is that it is not just the subject in isolation. The IB is a whole curriculum and you have to be aware - particularly as a HoF - what implications that has for you. You don't say what subject you teach but the whole of the Diploma program is now going through changes, some of which - especially in languages - are going to have very serious implications for schools. Do you know about these? Can you guide the school through these changes?
    These are the questions I would be asking myself.