1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job and person description

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by EBC, Nov 6, 2019.

1. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Can you help?

I need to update my personal statement and want to be ready to complete applications, so I've found some application packs of school vacancies I'm interested in.

Im stuck on a few bits. How do I show that,

I have ability to dissect problems and identify solutions
    Ability to think strategically
    Flexibility and Resilience
    Innovative approach to pastoral care.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

1 Solve problems,identify solution. Write about a problem you solved e.g. colleague off sick in dept
    2 Ability strategically - write about something you have planned and implemented. If whole school, even better.
    3. Flexibility and Resilience-something that was changed mid year but you took it in your stride.
    4 Innovative approach to pastoral care- something new you do with your tutor group?

You don't detail your current role so I assumed teacher. Good luck!

phlogiston and agathamorse like this.
  3. sasbme

sasbme New commenter

Remember the personal statement also needs to be clear why you want to work in that particular school - it is then helpful to link your skills to them, ensuring facts and figures are given where possible to prove you got a good result. For example:

"Furthermore, I have an innovative approach to pastoral care demonstrated by a new peer to peer planner checking routine I initiated. I noticed that the students getting sanctioned for homework directly related to how organised their planner was therefore I [blah blah blah]. This reduced my form group's sanction rate by 23% and is now being trialled in 3 other form groups. I notice that [insert school name] places high value on developing mentoring skills in its students from your new buddyme scheme - my new planner checking method encouraged more organised students to mentor those less naturally organised (or those with not the same guidance at home) which is something I am very passionate about developing more in my professional practice."

An effective cover letter or personal statement should always be tailored to the school.

Hope that is helpful

mothorchid and phlogiston like this.
  4. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Oh my Sasbme, that's sounds so good. It also really daunting! Really doubting myself now.

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

1. The way you looked at a "difficult" topic and worked out a way to correct misconceptions etc.
    The way you dealt with a child having problems accessing the curriculum
    Dealing with e.g. staff absence
    2. Bigger things like schemes of work, topic rotations, planning a school trip, implementing a new school policy.
    3. Changes of plans, keeping going when circumstances are difficult, rewriting an SoW to fit the needs of a class with particular problems
    4. How you sorted out the child who was struggling socially, getting the tutor group to act as a team.

Key thing is to respond to the person spec you get when you apply to Bash Street. Address every point.
    Good luck.