1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job Alerts

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by katerina_78, Jan 7, 2012.

1. katerina_78

katerina_78 New commenter

My job alerts that I regularly received to my e mail every Saturday have suddenly stopped. I didn't change anything but for the last 4-5 weeks I've not received anything. This week I looked at my settings and they seemed to be fine but I created a new one anyway but again I haven't got anything. I'm looking for a job in London for September so really need these updates. Can you shed any light on this? Thanks.

2. Have there actually been any news jobs listed in your subject? I get mine daily, but obviously there hasn't been anything over xmas and I dont think there was very much in the couple of weeks before that! :)

3. katerina_78

Ah! I think there have been this week. When I checked my settings again today there were 4 jobs there which made me query it...

4. Hiya,
    I've had the same problem. Assumed there were no jobs advertised, but then checked this weekend and there's at least 5 relevant jobs :s

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Sometimes there's NO jobs advertised in my LA for weeks on end, because quite simply there aren't any. People tend to stay put here.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Are you saying that these jobs haven't shown up on your Job Alert?
    Then do some more, checking that you have the right area, right type of school (don't forget to do them for Indy schools too), right subject, right level (not Head if you are a NQT!).
    It's so easy to make a mistake, so just start again, easier than going back and checking the old ones.
    Best wishes!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

7. katerina_78

Thanks Theo and others! Am I right in thinking that I need to have an alert for each type of job I'm looking for? I don't know if this is different to how it was before, but since the website changed, things just seem to be a little differernt.
    So, I could have as many alerts created as I like? One for 5 miles from postcode, one 20 miles etc but these would have to be separate alerts? Is that right?!
    I've now changed it to daily, so I'll see what come through! This is the first time I've job hunted since getting my first job 6 years ago, so it's BIG change and all a bit scary!!
    Have a happy Sunday! I'm about to start goodness knows how many hours of prep and marking for next week.....joy!!

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes - and then repeat them all for the indy sector.
    Read this: Dear Theo I need help!
    It will give a run-down of how to set about the applications.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Although "within 5 miles" will also be included in "within 20 miles", of course, so those 2 separate ones aren't needed.