1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job Advice - move from nusery setting to school

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Ashley_Dawson, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Hi I currently work in a nursery however I have a degree in primary education and in the future I would like to move into school setting as a higher level teaching assistant. I have previously applied for a few jobs but not heard anything back. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on if I need any additional qualifications or training to support future applications.

Thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there!

The first thing I am going to suggest is if that is your real name, you change it. You cannot do this yourself, you need someone in the Tech Team to do it for you:

We can change your username for you. Please write to us with your preferred new username.

help@tes.co.uk

To test if this name already exists, type this into the username field in the registration box.We look forward to your response.

As for your question, there are several organisations who arrange training for HLTAs.

http://www.bestpracticenet.co.uk/hlta

Try asking your local college or university if they do something, too.

http://www.northampton.ac.uk/study/courses/courses-by-subject/education/higher-level-teaching-assistant--hlta-programme

With your degree you should have a flying start here, but do remember that there is a lot of competition for these posts, a lot of it from trained and experienced teachers who want out of the stresses of the classroom. So I suggest that you read all the applications advice here on the blogs - tell me if you can't find it.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.