1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

job adverts

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by hammie, Jan 9, 2016.

1. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

why does every single head use the same soundbite about wanting an "outstanding practitioner blah blah blah"

If you don't believe me, take a look at some of the adverts and you wills see they are all worded just the same, suggesting zero thought, effort or interest.

If you received an application written in soundbites and with such little thought to be individual or original, would you interview the applicant or bin it?

When I read them, I can't say I am inspired to apply; And as a Maths teacher, looking for a move, you might actually want me to.

2. mickeyforpresident

mickeyforpresident New commenter

I wouldn't want you to.

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

I don't doubt that. But why not answer the intial question about formulaic wording in adverts?

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Ads are often "written" by someone in the office just getting the last ad and changing the subject. So the ads go back years and years.

I have seen ads for HoD and even AHT that tells us that NQTs are welcome to apply. I have seen job details for a School caretaker asking applicants to fill in and enclose a sheet detailing the GCSE and A-level results of their classes for the last 3 years.

;)

Sheer laziness, so I agree with @hammie

Best wishes

5. frymeariver

frymeariver New commenter

Maybe one of the reasons for the "soundbite" adverts is that they are often charged for by the word. If there was a standard fee for adverts regardless of length then I suspect we would see a lot more variety.

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Well hey… The TES are surely offering bargain advertising deals on job adverts at the moment given that no one can search and find jobs effectively! :rolleyes:

7. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

In agreement with @hammie and @TheoGriff. Something that winds me up is when they are clearly cut n paste jobs advertising one post, but in the accompanying blurb they ask for a different subject: "Teacher of Spanish" is the banner, then underneath "we are looking for a teacher of Maths..."

Not a good advertisement for organisation.