1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job adverts seem low this year

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by geckopoo, Dec 2, 2016.

1. geckopoo

geckopoo New commenter

Is it just my imagination or are the job adverts not as numerous as in other years?

I usually use TES as my main means of finding a new position.....and there are usually a lot of vacancies posted before the Xmas vacation.

With only 2 weeks to go for most people I'm beginning to wonder if it will ever "take off". Less than 500 international vacancies (with a lot close to expiration) seems very low for the time of year.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

i would agree, it does seem low. International teaching is cyclical as we all know, and there are good years a bad years for job numbers. i generally use Search, and even there for my subject area by now i would expect a few more adverts, i even teach in a shortage subject and they are nearly half of what i would expect

geckopoo likes this.
  3. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Brexit, and other silliness have given people pause. Why leave a job when there is so much uncertainty around? As I keep going on about, the amount of cash that I can send home from Thailand has gone up enormously because of the falling pound, I love my job, but even those who don't are probably thinking "lets stay here for another year and see what happens"?
    Anyone else have a clue?

Perce

geckopoo likes this.
  4. dumbbells66

i have had effectively had a 15 000 GBP pay raise due to Brexit and the devaluation of the pound against the dollar. can't wait for Brexit starts for really and the economy falls apart and the pound drops below a dollar :D

geckopoo, JL48 and percy topliss like this.
  5. geckopoo

geckopoo New commenter

I'm glad its not just me then! I too teach a shortage subject so fingers crossed there'll be a few more jobs advertised soon.

6. Redparrotfish

Redparrotfish New commenter

If the reason there are fewer jobs advertised is because people are staying put will this mean fewer applicants?

7. Kasarabian

Kasarabian New commenter

There's another factor becoming more obvious by the day to those of us involved in recruitment. It's the growth of agencies offering financial kickbacks. There's a nomadic group in the Middle Kingdom offering 500 USD per teacher.

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

The collapse in the price of oil has hit Gulf economies pretty hard, so salaries may not be so good. Therefore some international schools have either gone out of business or else they have downsized. This means that fewer teaching vacancies will be advertised. On the other hand, there seem to be more new schools every day in China, so perhaps the overall number of teaching jobs in international schools is probably going up. Maybe it is the case that many schools are finding cheaper and more effective ways of recruiting, as opposed to advertising on the good old TES. How much is the fee for a standard TES advert these days? And how does that compare with the fees charged by most recruitment agencies?

9. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

We no longer use the TES at all. It became stupidly expensive and many people seem not to read the adverts, they just use the scattergun approach of applying for everything.

Silly, silly people.

An interesting piece on Reuters today Hippo about the company from China that sounds a bit like the crew who invented Kevlar. It shows up how they are willing to cheat to get their, Chinese, kids into universities in the States.

Quelle surprise.....

Perce

10. karel

karel Occasional commenter

For one subject I noticed there are 39 adverts internationally on TES and 149 on Search so maybe it's something to do with schools moving away from using TES.

percy topliss likes this.
  11. karel

karel Occasional commenter

Some schools are starting to use schrole now for recruiting. This year two of the top schools in Bangkok have all their vacancies listed there.

percy topliss likes this.
  12. miss_saigon

miss_saigon New commenter

or using fobisia or cobis.

13. february31st

february31st Established commenter

The cost of placing an advert in the TES is quite eye watering and it is now difficult to justify to the accountants the CBA of the service. True the cost of using SA is higher but you can get 5 shortlisted candidates to interview within hours. This saves hours of reading 100s of applications that don't meet the MPR or just not suitable, airplane travel costs, hotel stay costs and all the other expenses incurred for interviews. So using an agency does make economic sense when you add up all the time and costs involved in the traditional recruitment cycle.

Also the TES is a victim of its own T&C on this comment section, many teachers just ignore the TES AS THEY CAN NOT READ "honest" REVIEWS of schools advertising in the job section.

Take my own example of trying to warm fellow human beings about a school in Tianjin that was bankrupt advertising of staff. My posts and those of others were removed and the school closed in February leaving 40 staff without a job, homes to live in and thousands of pounds out of pocket.( I still have all the webpages downloaded and emails from the TES staff on the matter)

The TES is not alone in this as a well know recruitment agent was involved as will with this school and still was willing to place staff into that establishment even after I placed all the evidence on their desk in person.

As for the agents working in China, they mostly deal with Chinese schools and managers, no kick backs NO business is put their way.

The TES is no longer the number one go to place for jobs.

14. GrayFox23

GrayFox23 New commenter

So where is then?

15. dumbbells66

nearly all of them are listed in the thread above GrayFox

16. madeleineevans1

madeleineevans1 New commenter

Hi folks, I represent a new team of people within TES working on improving our recruitment, training, and branding products for international schools, alongside our career support and resources for teachers.

I've spoken to a number of teachers and leaders directly, over the last two months, to find out more about how they recruit and train teachers, and how both TES and agencies currently do or don't support those needs. I'd love to hear more from you about your journey with TES and our competitors, and what's worked and what hasn't for you in the past.

To address some of these specific concerns about TES, I'd also like to point you in the direction of our new subscriptions. Subscriptions include fixed-cost, unlimited recruitment advertising; our TES School Portal - with ad performance data, easy job saving/posting and an applicant tracking system for all your candidates; and, for international schools, CV filtering by our recruitment team, so you can save time searching CVs, shortlisting and managing applicants all while knowing your costs upfront.

You can email me directly if you want to join a panel I'm building of international school teachers and leaders who want to contribute to our product development, or if you're interested in our new products and want to learn more.

Sincerely,
    Madeleine Evans
    madeleine.evans@tes.com

17. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I was reading a thread on ISR today where people were discussing how many applications they had sent and how many responses they had gotten so far. Some people had applied for 40+ jobs and gotten no responses. It didn't seem to occur to them that this was most likely to due to the fact that it was clear to the employer that they were applying for anything and everything.

My question would be, what sort of teacher would work absolutely anywhere and for any school?

Redparrotfish and suem75 like this.
  18. willow78

willow78 Occasional commenter

I suppose a desperate one (to leave to the UK), I think some people think it is amazing at every International school and many will get shocks when they arrive.

suem75 and Redparrotfish like this.
  19. dumbbells66

The fact that the TES doesnt provide any information about benefits and salary for international jobs still amazes me. This is such a big move for people you dont want to have to apply for jobs, which takes a long time, before you find out if it will be worth your while. This is where Search is so much better than TES in my opinion.

skeptucator and grdwdgrrrl like this.
  20. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Seriously, I am also baffled by this practice. Schools themselves should put that info on their website. Otherwise, it's a little bit of duplicity. What are they hiding? What are they afraid of?