1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job advertised for 2021

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by february31st, Aug 23, 2020.

1. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Not on this site, but I have just seen job advertised for August 2021. True the job application has a 300 page online application to complete and requires 17 references but still that should only take 6 weeks to complete.

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Leadership or teaching? It’s pretty normal for leadership. Teaching is rarer, but if you know you have an opening, why not advertise it?

3. february31st

Its teaching roles and you have to include video files of your teaching in the application!

4. frodo_magic

frodo_magic Occasional commenter

If it's the ME, the video files will allow them to check your shade before continuing the application.

msmillreef and Bentley89 like this.
  5. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Huh ! I wouldn't but hey, !

6. february31st

Unfortunately it's one of those schools where you need to be born with a silver spoon stuck up your a$$ and a PhD from Oxford or Cambridge, apart from that the school isn't fussy. On the school website the principal looks under 30 and all the HoDs are 25 experiencing the excitement of management for the first time and feeling appreciated for the expertise they bring to the roll.

polykera likes this.
  7. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

You could send a deliberately saucy reply...something from

OR

JL48, desertestrella7 and gainly like this.
  8. february31st

I kind of get the impression that I am not in the desired cohort of applicants. The pull down menu for DoB stops at 1985, your highest qualification starts at "Post Doctorate" and only UK Russell Group Universities are selectable.

This wonderful employment opportunity brings with it a starting salary of 42k USD, plus a few standard benefits and a free unicorn.

JL48 and desertestrella7 like this.
  9. StrangePanda

StrangePanda Occasional commenter

Cu
    Curious... can you drop a hint?

10. february31st

It only shows on the schools application system. I submitted an application 2 years ago and just received an email advertising the same job I applied for previously. So does the school think I am a serious applicant or just waisting my time again by asking me to completing another application, no human content in the email.

I do know something about the school as I have a contact working there and filled me in on some details. The first teacher they employed had a PhD but unfortunately couldn't actually teach, difficulties in communicating with normal intelligent students. The second teacher couldn't provide the necessary police clearance documents, something about not being able to apply for the documents after leaving the previous country of employment.

I have just sent an email to the principal to clarify the situation. Not hard to work the address out from the information available on the school website.

11. funkymonkey

funkymonkey New commenter

A degree from Oxford or Cambridge cant be worth much, look at the Ret*rds running the UK government. Most of them went to either of those institutions. Most of them must have got a degree in Stupidity.

desertestrella7 and TusitalaH like this.
  12. celago22

celago22 Established commenter

Good for you if you go for it. Personally I wouldn't film myself for any job application!

13. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Assuming they want to see you teaching-wouldn't that be a safeguarding issue-potentially even if you blanked out the faces of the students? I would seek qualified (legal) advice before doing this! Unless you're teaching to your pets...

14. february31st

I will have a classroom filled with cardboard cut outs of Mr Bean. But it is surprising how many job interviews require you to submit videos of your teaching no matter if it breaks student privacy rules and regulations.

The job did make sense when my wife's company was considering moving her to another country to open an office, but they reconsider when she asked for 125000usd living expenses. Her company doesn't understand how a rent-a-name school can charge 50000usd tuition fees for ONE student and renting a good quality apartment was 60000usd.

15. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY Occasional commenter

$41,000 is nothing if they're expecting people with a PHD.

16. february31st

Magic words "Tax Free with free accommodation", and working for such a prestigious establishment will look good on your CV. There are 21 points on the pay scale but you can only start on point 8. Within 4 years you would be taking home 4k usd a month which seems around the top of most schools salary offers at the moment I have seen. Not seen any higher offers in the "tax free" part of the world,plus all the sand you want.

17. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Magic words? Not really. There are lots of places where the equivalent of up to $60000 is paid from day 1. This is without a PHD or membership of an elite group.

JL48 and install like this.
  18. february31st

Not as many as you would think unfortunately, apart from schools in Angola apparently!

19. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Middle East. You $41k equates to around 12,500 AED a month In Dubai or its equivalent in Qatar and Saudi. This is quite easy to attain, with free accommodation, health, flights and gratuity.

20. february31st

It also equals 24-26k rmb per month which is the maximum offer that seems to be on offer in Shanghai at the moment. Since this particular school has franchise in China, UAE, Singapore,HKand other countries, 42-45k usd seems to be the standard offer in every school. Pity I can't afford the 40% pay cut at the moment. In Shanghai the cost of one students tuition fees is the basis of one teachers salary of 320000rmb.