1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Job ads and application procedures

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by colacao17, Jan 24, 2020.

1. colacao17

colacao17 Occasional commenter

Browsing job ads this season, there are several current ads which have caught my eye.

Two of them turn out to be, disappointingly, COGNITA schools. For all I know, Cognita could be a wonderful organisation to work for, but its application forms are the worst I've seen. It's not the length of them or the detail required that's the issue (although they do want qualifications going right back to school), it's the fact that almost every time I attempt to type into a field on the form, the formatting messes up and I have to correct it. It's almost as if absolutely no thought and care went into producing the form - and perhaps no understanding of WP packages.

I wonder if teachers at these schools are expected to waste copious amounts of time making up for administrative deficiencies.

Anyone working for a Cognita school who can persuade me that it's worth the effort?

2. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

Don’t know if it’s worth it but I managed to fill out the form without any formatting issues. It took a long time, but I figure once it’s done I can re-use it easily enough. I did it over a few days, a section at a time, as I knew it would drive me mad doing the whole thing at once.

Lara mfl 05 and colacao17 like this.
  3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, colacao17, you could just cut and paste the whole damn form into MS Word. That might solve your problem! Yes, I do sympathize with anyone battling with application forms. I much preferred the old way of doing things, just a CV and a covering letter to the principal. Much more humane!

I do not know anything about these COGNITA schools, so I am afraid that I cannot help you any further, but have you ever considered teaching in Bulgaria? (And no, you do not have to complete a silly form.)

Teachallover and colacao17 like this.
  4. teachersn

teachersn New commenter

off topic but.....

How long after interview do you wait to hear back? In the UK you find out the same day but I assume abroad they have other interviews that may be on days after. What is the norm?

5. theintlteacher

theintlteacher New commenter

Can be a week, weeks or more!

6. Treesa

Treesa New commenter

Can also be never! I'm still waiting to hear following an interview last year....

Teachallover likes this.
  7. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

"I much preferred the old way of doing things, just a CV and a covering letter to the principal"

Me too, o' legendary one but this can lead to lots of spurious applications. Groups like Cognita and Ford Anglia like the online application that takes time and effort because it means you are more likely to be a serious applicant rather than a speculative one!

8. teachersn

teachersn New commenter

Weeks - I am to old to be thinking about deadlines like that - I was hoping next day !!

9. teachersn

teachersn New commenter

Is the next day to ambitious?

10. colacao17

colacao17 Occasional commenter

There are application forms and application forms. The NA one is a pain, but it is well put together and looks as though it might have been made by a professional.
    The Cognita one gives a poor impression of the organisation.

11. janavis467

janavis467 New commenter

My concern is with the TES application system. I teach a shortage subject (two, really) and have a fair bit of experience so pretty much always get interviews. Except, last autumn I submitted two applications via the TES system and received no response from either, not even an acknowledgement. These are the only two applications in probably the last decade or more from which I haven't got at least an interview, and also the only two applications I've ever made via TES.

Do TES apps go into a black hole somewhere or is this just an unlucky coincidence?

Also this week, I got an email from a school which has seen my profile on TES and wants me to apply for a post teaching Physical Education. My subject is Physics.

12. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

'I got an email from a school which has seen my profile on TES and wants me to apply for a post teaching Physical Education. My subject is Physics.'

Welcome to the wonderful world of international teaching where many Senior staff/recruiters are word blind and/or had one two many sundowners

janavis467 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. Morena123

Morena123 New commenter

I'm not sure if the TES applications go into a black hole but from the recruiting side, I don't find the system the easiest to use...