1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jo Specification-54 separate requirements!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by CarrieV, Jan 11, 2016.

1. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I'm currently applying for a post where the job specification runs to 54 separate essential requirements. Apart from loosing the will to live as I try to find examples to match them all, I'm currently on to page 3 and haven't finished yet! Any ideas on how to cut down? I've tried succinct and to the point but there is only so much you can cut out before it fails to make sense! I know Theo's advice is 2 pages max but I'm heading for double that!!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

How daft!

They will find it hard to get someone who can fill all that. :) Not even someone like you, @CarrieV !

Go through and prioritise. Which are the REALLY essential - or the ones that you REALLY have a good example for. ;) For a start, you can omit anything that is on the application form: Good Honours degree. PGCE in Primary Education.

And then see where you can put two or more together, combining them to make something similar.

Then you may need to prioritise again.

You need to cut it down!

Best wishes

3. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

If there are 54 separate requirements, someone has gon mad doing cut and paste, the job has not been thought out properly, or it is mostly composed of things that nobody else wants to do. Best avoided: imagine working for an SMT which writes job specs like that!

CWadd likes this.
  4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter