1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jo Nesbo

Discussion in 'Book club' started by perdita, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Does anybody know what order the Harry Hole books by Jo Nesbo go in? I listen to them on audio book and have really enjoyed the ones I've heard so far. I've got them out of sequence though and it's starting to get really confusing.

2. Does anybody know what order the Harry Hole books by Jo Nesbo go in? I listen to them on audio book and have really enjoyed the ones I've heard so far. I've got them out of sequence though and it's starting to get really confusing.

3. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

I don't know the author but I just got this from Fantasticfiction. I noticed there was no number 2 though and the first one was published after the eighth one (?!)

Still I hope it helps

1. The Bat (2012)
    3. The Redbreast (2006)
    4. Nemesis (2008)
    5. The Devil's Star (2005)
    6. The Redeemer (2009)
    7. The Snowman (2010)
    8. The Leopard (2011)
    9. Phantom (2012)

4. Hmmm... even more confused now!
    Numbers 3 and 4 seem to have been published after number 5 [​IMG]
    I haven't come across The Bat - I must look out for that one.
    Thanks for your reply.

5. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

I'm afraid that quite often happens when I try and help :/

6. This is what the Jo Website says .... "I want to read the Jo Nesbo books in order. Where do I start?

The chronological order of the novels available in English is: The Redbreast, Nemesis, The Devil's Star, The Redeemer, The Snowman, The Leopard. But you can of course start anywhere. Headhunters is a stand-alone novel."

7. Apparently 'The Bat man (1) and 'The Cockroaches' (2) are yet to be translated and made available in the UK :(

8. I've found this confusing. The Snowman was released first in the UK, but it sits right in the middle of the list. Although its a side story to each novel, there is a chronology to Hole's story.
    I'm doing these on audio books. Tip of the day - don't listen to them while on your own in a dark house!!

9. Me too.
    Good advice, menacing, aren't they.

10. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

I went to see Headhunters the film today. Really good and like a lot of the current Swedish writers, different.
    I loved The Snowman. Very creepy. Just after Christmas my best friend borrowed it to read. She popped around for a chat and found a modelled snowman on my window sill, left over from our Christmas cake. It really freaked her out! Those who have read the book will know what I mean.

11. I love the Harry Hole novels, I was given The Snowman as a Christmas present and quickly downloaded the rest to my kindle.
    However, my time for reading is so limited that I am only half way through Redbreast :(
    I am glad there are others out there who enjoy the books!

JTL - was the film as well written as the books? I am always apprehensive about watching films based on books by authors I have enjoyed, sometimes crucial parts are omitted or brushed over quickly.

12. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

pinkrose, I haven't read Headhunters so I can't comment on whether or not it was as well written as the book but I did enjoy it as a film. I find films usually are never as enjoyable as the book however as it is not possibe to cram as much information in.

13. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

The reason the release dates for some of the books on that list appear to be odd is because that's the list of when the English translated versions came out. The first few books weren't translated into English until after some of the later ones.

14. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

I've just read my way through all of the Jo Nesbo books, almost all in the correct order as well! I read Nemesis first as it was the best thing on offer in a charity shop next to the station while I was waiting for a train, and that got me into reading the rest of them. I'd always thought he was a bit overrated and didn't expect to be very impressed, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Harry Hole books. Unfortunately, I then made the mistake of reading Headhunters...what an enormous pile of pants! I spent the whole book either sniggering at the ridiculous premises holding up the (not very impressive) plot or just wondering whether he'd written it as a joke while drunk. Anyone else read it and felt the same? Or even liked it?!

15. The Redbreast, Nemesis, The Devil's Star, The Redeemer, The Snowman, The Leopard

16. Um, random first post.