1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

jjust in case or just in time

Discussion in 'Personal' started by florapost, Jun 2, 2011.

1. yes - i forgot to mention the bogoff addiction as well - one of the joys of the big cupboard tidy is now i know what i've got 12 of, which will last till the next bogoff (or the one after that) comes roun, so i can resist
    like rf, i was never planning for nuclear winter, more being snowed in and such. snowed in? i live in london - i was making preparations to match friends who live in the depth of the country!!
    as for loo roll - well, that really was an accident - i hit the wrong button and over-ordered on a traidcraft delivery by a factor of 5 - i will get the airing cupboard back eventually
    giraffe - everyone is neurotic, and if we're not wasting food (i don't know about other hoarders, but i am mortified if i forget a couple of lettuce leaves and have to throw them on the compost) we are not contributing to world hunger- i will not give up is having a tankful of petrol - mr post never fill his till the emergency light goes on, and it frazzles my nerves like anything - and a camping gaz room heater - just in case
    but thinking about your father, one thing that stopped me short was a serious survivalist i knew, who even converted spare cash into silver dollars against bank crashes, died suddenly of a heart attack, and his wife took their young children back to her native mexico - leaving behind the shedful of dried beans, milk powder, camping stoves etc

2. You were preaching and polishing your holier-than-thou credentials.
    There's no need for it.

3. That is not how I see it. Giraffe was merely responding . How rude you are.

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

If I had a bigger kitchen with more storage space I would love to stockpile certain things as it makes sense financially to buy in bulk and to take advantage of special offers. As it is, we can not do this. I have never been one to squirrel away food out of general insecurity, though I do know people who do this as a day to day thing, and not because there's some imminent threat to our well being.
    Oh!! I've just remembered, Thought this was quite amusing:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-13621315

5. Hahahahahaha!
    Why were they going home to change before stocking up on cheap beer? Maybe they were changing into clothes that wouldn't show beer stains.
    Kibosh, you do not have a true bulk-buyer's spirit. Rooms in your house are to put bargains in, not to watch TV, sleep or wash in.

6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

[​IMG] But I'm Scottish!!!! It's gotta be TRUE for me too.
    [​IMG] Ooops, I said I was going to stop all that perpetualisationism of stereotypicalising.

7. You've got a long way to go but I'm sure your profligate habits can be changed.
    Start by putting your clothes under the bed and filling the wardrobe with carp from Boots bought with their £5 vouchers and freebie cosmetics from mags.
    Or is that just me? [​IMG]

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Just you mate, we don't do that kind of thing in Scotland! [​IMG]

9. Your beerage article from the BBC militates against that more than somewhat. [​IMG]
    Surely I can't be the only one for whom opening the wardrobe door involves being hit on the head by Clinique samples?

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

Oh dear. I thought the OP was joking. My brother has space in which to collect special offers. We don't. I'd love to be able to buy 96 loo rolls for a massive discount but I'd have nowhere to store them. Nuclear threat? It's never entered my mind, to be honest. I've always thought of it in terms of saving money.

11. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

But they weren't stockpiling the Stella, just getting it in for a top shwally that night. Tsk, you silly billy, people in Scotland don't store alcohol!! [​IMG]

12. Unless it is a long way to the bathroom

13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

[​IMG]
    And it always is a long way to the bathroom if you've just drunk 5 cans of stella.

14. if only - it's a bit like being a recovering alcoholic - hi, i'm flora, and i've been reducing the items in my home for 18 months now....

15. During a recent clear-out, I discovered 5 unopened packets of rice. I don't even like rice that much - hardly ever eat it!
    Also still have about a year's supply of shampoo and conditioner left; it was on offer about three years ago, and I got carried away.