1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

JIS Brunei

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by rachelledwards, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Hi Guys and Gals,

I have been reading all the threads about JIS and Brunei to make up my mind about a post out there. Was wondering if anyone had any up-to-date info on the school, as the posts are from a year ago.

Also, I know Brunei is not the most happening place on the planet, but are there any major reasons why I shouldn't consider going for it?

2. Hi Guys and Gals,

I have been reading all the threads about JIS and Brunei to make up my mind about a post out there. Was wondering if anyone had any up-to-date info on the school, as the posts are from a year ago.

Also, I know Brunei is not the most happening place on the planet, but are there any major reasons why I shouldn't consider going for it?

3. JIS,
    Fantastic school, but very very quiet. Do not go and expect a great social life, expect long walks in the jungle biting flies and plenty of solitude.
    Do expect motivated pupils and excellent financial package.

4. Hi,

Almost dont want to know really, but I know the closing date is today and was wondering if this post meant that people had heardn if they have an interview? We had an email shortly after we applied saying they were interested and giving us more details of the pqckage, but have just been waiting for the closing date. Thanks.

5. Thanks for your replies everyone.

Charsina, I'm in the same boat as you really. Sent my application off and received a telephone message within 24 hours saying they were very interested and would send an e-mail.

Since then not had an e-mail or heard anything. E-mailed them back to say so, but still nothing.

6. Thank you Rachel, so nice not to hear that everyone else has got an interview and I am hoping in vain! Good luck, hopefully we will all hear soon

7. wel, then, you are both obviously ahead of me!! I did not even get an acknowledgment for my application. I checked their website and the position I applied for is not there anymore, so I guess they have put my file in the bin!!! Don't you just hate it when schools haven't even got the decency to let you know!
    good luck to you both, I know someone who has worked there, and she liked it very much!
    P

8. Pepito, don't bin your file. The position I applied for wasn't on their website either, just on here. I haven't heard about an exact date/time of an interview but the head left an answerphone message and said he would send me an e-mail with the details. That was on Monday.

9. hello,

having taught at the school mentioned for a few years now - i thought my input may be of some help to you.

first of all, there were some recent posts on here but SMT had them pulled (ask yourself why).

secondly, ask yourself why so many posts have been advertised this year.

thirdly, i do not want to say anything that will get this thread pulled again - need i say more?

Brunei is a beautiful country, if you have a family - you will be very happy (as long as you don't mind the demands of the school being that you never see them).

If you have any burning questions - please do not hesitate to ask. I will do my best to give you an honest answer but it may have to be in code as it seems freedom of speech is not allowed for us teachers here.

Kind regards,
    Mr Smithy

10. Smithy2008

My sister is thinking about going to JIS. Any info that you may not want to put in the forum?? You can email me on squidword@live.co.uk. Kind regards squid

11. Hi Smithy2008,

Can I jump on Sqwidworth's bandwagon and make a similar request for your insights on life at JIS?

Would be very grateful for your experience(s) of life there.

cocoa@live.co.uk will find me.

Many thanks ... x9lives

12. Anyone had a baby while in Brunei? ... starting to bulge and wondering how i might find life if partner lands a job at JIS !

Also is Smithy2008 giving a fair picture of working hours at JIS? Would be a shame to deny a new baby their father!

13. Still havent heard about an interview, anyone else? Closing date was last week.

14. first of all, there were some recent posts on here but SMT had them pulled (ask yourself why).

....because the current staff decided to stay after all?

15. I can't believe we have only just found this thread. Mr Smithy can you please give us the real story:
    catrushy@googlemail.com

Interview very shortly. I hope you can let us know in time.

16. Sorry, can I just check i understood the last couple of posts..... Is the assumption that they advertised for posts that werent all there and that they are now interviewing? At least 1 person has heard then?

17. Haven't heard, if that can make you feel better.

It seems to me, but again, I haven't got that much experience, that schools now tend to advertise for "potential" vacancies rather than "actual" vacancies.

Maybe that's what JIS has done? not sure.
    P

18. as long as you don't mind the demands of the school being that you never see them).

certainly not the experience of most of the staff

19. JIS is a good place to be - we do have the odd miserable grump though...

The working day starts early, but finishes at 2.15 or 3.00, with one afternoon activity per week.
    As soon as you're done, you can be off to the Empire hotel for a swim, and off to Singapore or Bali for short breaks.

Cost of living: it costs me 5 pounds to fill up my car (50 litres of diesel) and about 70 pounds to feed my family of 4 for a week.
    No tax. Water bill is 1 pound a month...

We've had babies here, and so have a lot of our friends - everyone has an amah: lots of help and easy child care.