1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jim Naughtie and how he pronounces a (ah)

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, May 6, 2011.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Why does Jim Naughtie use a long ah sound when he says Glasgow. Surely it's a short a as in apple and as a Scot he shouldn't be using ah at all. As a Brummie i was always told ah was posh i.e. correct and a was common. Then, as life experience grew, I learnt that it was more to do with the north /south thing and that Scots always use a short a. But now I'm confused - is it still a posh thing in Scotland to say ah?

2. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

As a fellow brummie, I so agree with you. Who has ever known a geordie who said Newcahstle?

3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

It depends where he's lived, I suppose. My sister is Scottish but has lived in England for years and her "a"s are long now too (Eg. "grawss" instead of "grass". It makes me laugh sometimes, but she doesn't even know she's doing it.

4. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Glahsgow - sassenach or pan bried
    Glaasgow - Glaswegian talking to one of above
    Glesga - Glaswegian talking to Glaswegian

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

BetterNow likes this.
  6. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Good grief - I didn't notice the date.
    @nizebaby - just out of curiosity, why are you upping such old threads? Noticed you've revived a few. If it's a way to diversify the front page I'm all for it though...

colpee likes this.
  7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

At the top right of the thread there's an arrow pointing up or down. Clicking on it reverses the order of threads so you get the old ones first. I'm convinced this is what is happening.

Jamvic likes this.
  8. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

I've worked how it happens. On the Google page that directs me to personal, there are two further entries for pages 1110 and 1166. When I use my tablet, guess my tapping finger sometimes slips. Not that I always notice!

Mystery solved.

9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I think the problem should be obvious when you consider that anyone with a name you'd expect to be pronounced "Naughty" gets translated as "Knock a Tea".

When someone can't even pronounce their own name correctly, how can we expect them to get anything else right?