1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Jewelry remodeling

Discussion in 'Personal' started by amberwaves, Mar 9, 2011.

1. - As I saw it advertised today - have we turned into the 51st state? LOL!
    I've had two rings left to me by my great-aunt, or rather they're what her daughter didn't want so passed onto me, but it sounds ungrateful! They're miles too big and not to my taste and I'll never wear them but there are lots of diamonds - five biggish ones in one ring, and two and a topaz in the other. When I saw a shop from the bus I thought I could have the diamonds made into a necklace something like this - I looked it up and it's called a slide or slider necklace, where the chain goes through the diamond rather than having a ring.

[​IMG]
    I thought I could have all the diamonds in a row as one slide or separate ones.
    Before I get off the bus a lot of stops early, does anyone have any idea how much it costs to have jewellery remodelled? Is it a bargain or is the labour very dear? I am absolutely skint but it seems a real waste of diamonds not to use them and I could never afford anything with real diamonds otherwise!
    Thanks in advance.

2. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Is this correct, you want to drill a hole in a diamond?

3. Goes through the diamond setting! [​IMG]

4. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Phew - tbh it would be a bit difficult to drill through the diamond :)

I'm not sure that I would want to go to this particular place, I'd want someone recommend a jeweller.

5. You have two diamonds and a topaz, find a reputable jeweller and negotiate a deal, you get a bespoke piece of jewelry to your own taste. They get a diamond or two in payment.

6. I've got 7 diamonds!
    Do you think if I let them keep two and the topaz they'd do it for nothing? I'm not very good at haggling but if I get in there and they say it'll be £200 or something I will have to mutter and say sorry and walk out looking stupid and skint!

7. I had an eternity ring made larger and it was £40. I think all they had to do was stretch it or maybe add a tiny bit of gold to the back.

8. Lol, I know you have seven. I'm sure a good jeweler would work with you to find a design for your piece then cost it leaving you enough gems left to sell to them to cover the cost.
    Don't go doing all embarrased, this is a business transaction.
    You broker the deal and both parties get something out of it to their benefit.